NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a FGP Exercise Physiologist.
In this role, the successful candidate responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating the exercise component of the Cardiovascular programs and reviewing patient history, presenting lectures and performing exercise prescriptions. Demonstrates a variety of treatment approaches.
- Demonstrates continued proficiency in skills required to treat assigned patient population.
- Participates in special projects and performs other related duties.
- Adheres to all departmental procedures and policies. Respects the patients right to confidentiality at all times. Maintains a good working rapport with all Medical Center staff, physicians, and other departments that require frequent interaction and coordination of efforts. Greets and interacts with patients, their families, and visitors in a courteous and respectful manner.
- Maintains a professional appearance and demonstrates appropriate professionalism during job performance. Documents all information in an accurate, concise, up-to-date and complete manner. Maintains each record correctly to include progress notes, and other information as required.
- Assumes additional responsibilities in the organizational and structural needs of the assigned unit. Utilizes in service programs, conferences, and consultations to enhance current levels of skills and knowledge. Keeps current in the field of cardiac and pulmonary rehabilitation. Maintains certification up to date. Designs and follows a personal plan of development in professional areas. Develops the exercise curriculum for the inpatients and outpatient educational series and gives this presentation during each lecture cycle. Attends weekly staff meetings as schedule permits.
- Responsible for certain level patient care productivity as indicated by individual Unit Procedures. Checks exercise monitoring and testing equipment on a regular basis. Ensures quality control procedures are followed in accordance with departmental guidelines for calibrations and equipment maintenance functions. Notifies the appropriate senior staff member when equipment is damaged, missing, or in need of repair.
- Completes all required documentation for patient care and reimbursement. Gathers statistics, i.e., patients demographics, test results, develops data bank and compiles information for research purposes. Assists in the analysis of research protocols.
- Implements treatment plans and protocol according to current professional and health system standards. Instructs and demonstrates to patients the proper body position and correct use of exercise equipment. Reviews patients progress, evaluating compliance with exercise prescriptions and patient response to exercise. Sets appropriate and measurable short and long term goals for patients. Updates exercise prescriptions in collaboration with the program manager, medical director and or cardiac nurse specialist and also demonstrates knowledge in modifying the exercise regimen based on new medical development(s) or complaint(s).
- Performs initial assessment and evaluation of exercise therapy needs for specifically assigned patient populations. Reviews patients medical, social and psychological information prior to goal setting session and becomes familiar with patient profiles with special attention to musculoskeletal and cardiovascular histories. Assists in performing initial assessment of new patients based on stress test results and develops a target heart and risk stratification class.
- Bachelor's degree in Exercise or Applied Physiology
- Certification in Basic Cardiac Life Support
- Internship in Cardiac Rehabilitation
- Master's Degree in Exercise or Applied Physiology or Exercise Science
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.