About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Public Relations Specialist develops, writes, proofs and edits Emergency Management departmental print publications and other mediums including website, social media and departmental program material and/or related documents. This position is responsible for developing and implementing social media marketing campaigns, and conducting online research for topics and gathering information and data to ensure accuracy for publication. Provides graphic design and content for proposals, technical reports, presentations, public relations and marketing materials and publications. Designs charts, graphs, illustrations, large format graphics and other artwork. Reviews and finalizes layouts and develops graphics and program/project logos. Develops and attends outreach opportunities around campus and with community partners to promote the Office of Emergency Management. Works with university information officers and departmental contacts in submission of articles and also serves as liaison during emergencies.
- Degree in graphic design, communications, public relations, marketing or related field or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
- Experience in Web Design (HTML, CSS).
- Experience working with Content Management Systems (CMS).
- Experience in Graphic Design for web, print and multimedia development.
- Experience in writing for a variety of media types.
- Experience in creating visual presentations for a variety of audiences.
- Proficiency in the use of software such as Microsoft Office suite including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Captivate, Photoshop, and illustrator).
- Ability to take technical information and put it into a format that is easily understood by various levels of readers.
- Advanced education in a related field.
- Experience in instructional design and the development of training modules and materials.
- Demonstrated photography experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Keynote.
- Knowledge of Emergency Management principles.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 02/19/2017