Located in central Denver's historic Washington Park residential neighborhood, associates at Porter Adventist Hospital enjoy beautiful surroundings, leading technology, outstanding leadership and easy access to everything great central Denver has to offer. As a full-service Magnet® designated, 368-bed acute-care referral center specializing in cancer care, joint replacement, spinal care, advanced robotic surgery and organ transplantation, Porter Adventist Hospital treats some of the region's most complex medical cases and surgery patients. Our Heart and Vascular Institute is the first and only program in Colorado to receive full Heart Failure Accreditation status from the Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care. We have also received numerous awards and honors including: The Healthgrades Patient Safety Excellence Award (2014); top 50th orthopedic program ranking by U.S. News & World Report with high performing honors in eight specialties (2014); an "A" rating from the Leapfrog Group for Patient Safety (2014), as well as many others. The Porter tradition of blending science and spirit began more than 75 years ago by Denver businessman Henry Porter with his generous donation after he experienced care at a Seventh Day Adventist Facility in CA and sought to bring that same philosophy of care to Denver. If you are ready for a career where the work you do truly transcends the walls of a hospital, we invite you to learn more at: http://www.porterhospital.org/
Job Description/Job Posting ID: 82506
Recruiter Contact: HannahWair@Centura.org
Clinic/Department: 7311 PAH PHARMACY
Hospital: PORTER ADVENTIST HOSPITAL
Schedule:Full Time Variable
Shift: Variable with opportunity to have a focus on evening hours. Some weekend (rotating), no call.
Assist pharmacists in promoting an organized and functional pharmacy service. Prepares medications for dispensing and maintains records.
- High school diploma or equivalent
Work Experience Requirements
- 1 year hospital or retail pharmacy experience as applicable (completion of an Accredited Technician training course may substitute for experience)
- Working knowledge of computer systems.
Position Duties (essential functions, INCLUDE % OF TIME)
MEDICATION DISPENSING - 40%
- Accurately and in a timely manner fills unit dose cart, floor stock, medication orders, and delivers to patient care areas to ensure availability of ordered drugs and supplies. Is knowledgeable in the use and stocking of automated medication cabinets.
- Accurately prepares I.V. admixtures, using sterile technique.
- Accurately and in a timely manner, prepares prescriptions for pharmacist review and dispensing.
- Accurately compounds specialty items.
- Pre-packages and labels bulk medications for unit dose / unit of use dispensing with computer and associated equipment.
- Checks floor stock and / or pharmacy stock for outdates, overstock, and proper storage on a monthly basis to ensure the use of high quality medications.
- Maintains cost effective inventory of bulk items, utilizing soon to expire items quickly, and decreasing overstock of inventory.
- Demonstrates technical skill level in utilizing a variety of pharmaceutical competencies including, but not limited to, calculations, aseptic technique and cytotoxic drug properties.
DOCUMENTATION - 40%
- Maintains patient and other records using pharmacy computers and manual systems to ensure timely and accurate patient billings and compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Facilitates maintenance of adequate supplies by logging needs in Want book.
- Processes daily IV slips, assisting the administrative secretary with workload statistics.
COMMUNICATION - 20%
- Alerts pharmacy director, coordinator, clinical coordinator, or pharmacist of immediate problems requiring corrective action in a timely manner.
- Screens nursing and physician inquiries and phone calls by directing to appropriate pharmacist to ensure accurate and timely communication.
- Performs special projects, including the training of new technicians and overseeing their activities, and other activities as assigned to increase and improve level of service, skill level, and productivity.
- Attains professional growth by attending or participating in a minimum of 10 hours of continuing education annually.
* This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties. Employee may perform other related duties as assigned.
X Light Work - exert/lift up to 20 lbs force occasionally, and/or up to 10 lbs frequently)
Important notification to applicants as of Nov. 20, 2014: Effective Jan. 1, 2015, Centura Health will no longer hire tobacco users in Colorado and Kansas. The change to our policy does not apply to associates hired on or before Dec. 31, 2014. Centura Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer, M/F/D/V.