Thresholds, a national leader in mental health services, is a recipient of the Chicago Tribune “Top 100 Workplaces" for three consecutive years and a nine-time winner of Chicago’s “101 Best and Brightest Companies to Work For". Through our more than 100 Chicagoland locations and 30 innovative programs, Thresholds provides healthcare, housing and hope for over 15,000 adults and youth.
Thresholds Justice Program has been providing targeted services to persons with serious mental illness (SMI) involved in the justice system since 1997. Our Community Support Specialists engage Cook County Jail detainees leading up to and upon their discharge and provide support through the process of community reintegration.
Thresholds discharge linkage team is seeking a Community Support Specialist (Master’s level preferred). The Community Support Specialist will provide the following services:
- Intake/ Mental Health Assessments
- Discharge planning
- Provide linkage to ongoing mental health, psychiatry, medication management, substance abuse, vocational, educational, public benefits, and housing services
- Provide intensive community supports, which includes outreach, home visiting and case management
- Collaborate with mental health probation and the office of the public defender in order to support members in their legal obligations
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provides direct service to members through group counseling/therapy, case management, job support, crisis intervention, and psycho-social rehabilitation services either in the community or on site at a Thresholds location.
- Under the direct supervision of a QMHP or LPHA, gathers member information and assesses the need for service, makes recommendations for treatment, identifies and investigates existing natural resources and supports, explains options available to the member and assists in the application process.
- Identifies risk factors related to the relapse and development of relapse prevention plans and strategies.
- Develops and reviews members’ Individual Treatment Plans (ITP).This requires face to face meetings with member or guardian to identify goals, objectives, specific mental health services needed, and identification of staff responsible for delivering the services.
- Teaches members independent and community living skills, such as housekeeping, shopping, meal preparation and personal hygiene as well as the development of functional, interpersonal, support system and coping skills.
- Provides support to members with collateral sources, including other agencies, Social Security Administration, medical providers, Chicago Housing Authority, etc.Advocates and assists with problem solving/resolution that will help the member access and utilize support from the community or support system.
- Performs comprehensive member assessments, with the team and team leader, in order to identify the member’s mental health service needs and to make recommendations for treatment.
- Supports and promotes member self-advocacy and participation in decision making, treatment and treatment planning.
- Ensures that the Thresholds Service Plan addresses the member’s needs and includes objectives and techniques for accomplishing each goal.
- Works cooperatively with inpatient hospital staff, keeping logs and other records of all contacts as required by agency practice.Performs and participates in crisis intervention when necessary.
- Monitors Self Administration of Medication. This includes all procedures associated with the documentation of medication monitoring of self-administration in keeping with Thresholds standards, as well as procedures to follow in the event that there is any disruption to the medication schedule.
- May be required to communicate significant information regarding members to other staff or leadership through the staff log. Provides accurate and timely information to your supervisor on all topics and issues related to the operation of the agency and the well-being of members.
- Assures that all Thresholds procedures regarding the handling of member’s funds are followed and that both the members and the Thresholds administration are assured that all safeguards, reports and accounting meets the highest standards.
- Meets required billing targets and completes all documentation within assigned time frames.
MARGINAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participates in the implementation of Thresholds’ emergency plans related to extreme weather or other emergency condition.
- May be required to work flexible schedules and be available to work on weekends or evenings as required. May be required to be on call.