Nurse Practitioner-Palliative Care
Maine Medical Center
Maine Medical Center, a MaineHealth member, and the state’s largest medical center is seeking an Advance Practice Provider (Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant) to join their growing Palliative Care Program. The innovative and expanding program serves the community in both inpatient and outpatient settings. The Palliative Care team focuses on ensuring collaborative, holistic support to patients and their families. The NP/PA will provide palliative care along with the Palliative Care interdisciplinary team, which includes physicians, APPs, Nurses, Social Workers and Chaplains. The NP/PA is an educator within the organization in regards to pain and symptom management and the support of patients/families with the primary focus on the quality of life and interdisciplinary needs of patients and families who are faced with serious illness.
- Provide inpatient/outpatient palliative care consultation services in collaboration with the Palliative Care interdisciplinary team by providing expert assessment and treatment of complex symptoms.
- Collaborates successfully as a member of the multidisciplinary Palliative Care Team, taking responsibility for quality and continuity of care of assigned patients.
- Embodies and serves as an ambassador for the philosophy of evidence-based symptom management and whole patient assessment for patients with serious illnesses referred to the team.
- Moves the practice forward in evidence-based management of symptoms.
- Works with the interdisciplinary team to facilitate clarification of patient and family goals of care and access to appropriate support models of care, i.e. hospice, rehabilitation, ongoing aggressive treatment.
- Completes timely and accurate documentation of all activities in the EPIC EMR system.
- Plans care with inpatient and outpatient social work and case management, utilizing community resources (including home health and home hospice agencies).
- Participates in education of non-palliative care providers and promotes culture transformation to reinforce compassion and support for patients within the health system.
- Respects patient confidentiality, privacy, and dignity. Provides services in a quick and courteous manner with care and respect for the patient’s individual needs.
- Provide expert assessment and treatment of complex symptoms.
- Participate in multi-specialty Palliative Care team meetings.
- Help educate medical students, residents, nurses, physician colleagues and other hospital staff about Palliative Care principles and practices.
- Current license and registration to practice as an Advance Practice Registered Nurse as required in the State of Maine.
- Advanced knowledge of nursing theory and practice, and additional specialized medical training, in order to provide expanded nursing practice at a level generally acquired through completion of a Master’s degree.
- Advanced skill and knowledge in conducting physical examinations and treating patients in expanded practice model with minimal direction at a level generally acquired through two to three years in-depth experience as a Nurse Practitioner.
- Analytical abilities necessary to obtain medical histories, conduct physical examinations, prepare complex treatment plans, and treat assigned patients with minimal guidance and direction.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to interact with a variety of personnel (e.g., patients, employees, physicians, and other health care professionals.)
To learn more or to apply, please click here or visit www.careersatmainehealth.org
About Maine Medical Center
Maine Medical Center is a complete healthcare resource for the people of greater Portland, the entire state of Maine and Northern New England. With 637 beds and more than 7,000 employees, Maine Medical Center is the state’s largest medical center and the flagship facility of MaineHealth. In addition, we have achieved Magnet™ status in recognition of our commitment to the highest standards of nursing excellence. Maine Medical Center’s unique role as both a community hospital and a referral center requires an unparalleled depth and breadth of services, including the state’s only medical school, through a partnership with Tufts University School of Medicine, and a world-class biomedical research center, the Maine Medical Center Research Institute.
Located in beautiful Portland, our city has been recognized numerous times as a metropolitan hub that features award-winning gourmet dining, diverse cultural activities and a variety of sporting attractions. Located on a peninsula in Casco Bay and just 45 minutes away from the mountains of western Maine there is something for everyone. So whether your preference is hiking or skiing; biking or walking; sunbathing or sailing – or even doing nothing at all – you don’t have to go far to find it in Portland.
MaineHealth values diversity and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. Federal and state laws prohibit discrimination in employment because of race, color, national origin, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability or veteran status.