Organization and position description: The Illinois Coalition for Immigrant & Refugee Rights (ICIRR) is a coalition of more than 130 member organizations that works through its membership (community organizations, labor unions, religious institutions, social service agencies, ethnic associations, etc.) to build power and advance a pro-immigrant platform at local, state, and national levels. ICIRR’s mission is to promote the full and equal participation of immigrants and refugees in the political, civic and economic life of our diverse society. ICIRR provides our members with organizing and advocacy strategy, training and technical assistance on issues that affect their respective immigrant constituents, and up-to-date information and policy analysis on immigrant- and refugee-related issues. ICIRR ensures the effectiveness of our member organizations by providing ongoing leadership development opportunities, promoting citizenship and civic participation, monitoring and analyzing immigrant-related laws and policies, forming cross ethnic alliances, and informing the general public about the positive contributions of newcomers to Illinois and the U.S.
The New Americans Initiative is the nation’s largest Citizenship Program. NAI distributes grants to nearly 50 community-based organizations that help immigrants naturalize through outreach, citizenship preparation & English as second language (ESL) classes, and legal services. The IFRP a fourteen year old program, is one of a kind program that works with immigrant and refugee communities to access crucial services including language assistance and navigating complex government programs to move towards self-sufficiency and integration. IFRP currently funds 36 community based organizations to provide interpretation and translation services, outreach regarding services, information and referrals, application assistance, and case management services.
The Program Coordinators are responsible for program implementation, training, and outreach, monitoring, reporting and convening partner organizations. A crucial aspect of the outreach and training is to provide technical assistance, training and support to partner organizations to help them succeed. Developing an integrated outreach plan with partner organizations and training program partners and assisting partners in implementation of their outreach plan is also a part of the technical assistance functions that ICIRR program staff provide.
- Works as part of the program’s team to carry out the day-to-day functions of the immigrant integration programs and works with other program staff.
- Assists with contract administration, including program work plans, financial and budget requirements, and assisting with the Request for Proposals (RFP’s) for 3-year grant cycles.
- Maintains all relevant data for use in tracking, analyzing, including data collection, input, and reporting.
- Performs site-visits to evaluate and support partner performance, identify weaknesses and strengths, assist with outreach plan, provide technical assistance and training,
- Keep partners aware of the latest legislative and administrative developments concerning public benefits, naturalization, administrative and/or administrative relief, the rights of Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR’s) other policy issues affecting refugees and immigrants.
- Responsible for programmatic reports, in coordination with other program staff, to submit to funders on behalf of the program.
- Coordinate monthly program and/or regional meetings with partners to update/inform, receive feedback and share best practices.
- Coordinate legal assistance training for naturalization application processing agencies and ICIRR’s Policy Director, relevant trainings.
- Identify issues of concern emerging from partner reports for programmatic purposes and to inform ICIRR’s advocacy work.
- At citizenship workshops, create opportunities for applicants and volunteers to participate and engage in ICIRR programs, campaigns and advocacy work.
- Represent the immigrant integration programs publicly and meet with program stakeholders; establish and foster relationships with partner organizations relevant staff.
- Work with key state and local government officials who support US Citizenship, including personal meetings, invitations to events, etc…
- Coordinate opportunities for organizational capacity building and leadership development
- Other duties as assigned.