Job Title: Grants/Communications Manager
Supervised By: Director of Development
Supervises: Communications and Social Media Intern
Facing Forward to End Homelessness (Facing Forward) offers home, help and hope to Chicago’s homeless. Facing Forward utilizes a Housing First model which provides permanent supportive housing to chronically homeless individuals, families, and veterans. Under this model, we first ensure that clients have a safe stable home and then we empower them as they lead a forward facing life. By providing permanent housing and a full array of services, including case management, healthcare, referrals for substance abuse treatment, mental health issues, education and job training, we give Chicago's homeless individuals and children the tools they need to reclaim their lives.
Facing Forward, as a rapidly growing nonprofit with an entrepreneurial drive, is expanding its development team and embarking on a search for a Grants/Communications Manager to become a member of its team working to end homelessness. This person will be a strategic thinker, be tempted toward innovation, highly personable, and energetic. The Manager leads the grants program is responsible for coordinating solicitation strategies for foundations and other funding agencies. The Manager leads in developing new fundraising initiatives from institutions and helps the development team be creative and innovative in its fundraising. The Manager will have an eye for design and will be a talented writer and serve as ‘wordsmith’ for the development team.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
Foundations/Government/Grants (60% of the time)
- Develop new initiatives to expand funder base and diversity of types of funders
- Develop and cultivate relationships with funders, other granting sources, and/or government agencies. Represent Facing Forward externally to the foundation community to increase the agency’s profile in both the funders and nonprofit environments
- Develop an actionable annual grants management plan with clear, quarterly goals in a way that will guide and support the efforts of the development team:
- Track progress towards quantifiable goals and make mid-course adjustments as necessary.
- Write and submit proposals, budgets, reports. Ensure compliance with grant commitments.
- Manage the grants calendar to ensure timely completion of proposals and reports
- Identify, research, and evaluate potential foundation, corporate funders, and government prospects
- Set up and attend site visits with prospects and funders as appropriate
- Create and monitor the grants income budget. Monitor grant revenue projections and goals to leadership. Prepare financial documents. Ensure project/program budgets for which funding is sought are accurate. Work closely and collegially with finance department
- Keep abreast of programmatic needs, new program developments and outcomes by communicating regularly with program department
- Collect and maintain evaluative anecdotal data from caseworkers to assist with solicitation
- Work to actively engage with Board members who may have access and contacts with foundations and corporations. Provide staff support and/or research as requested
- Stay abreast of relevant changes in the philanthropic sector and communicate to senior staff.
Communications (25% of the time)
- Serve as an articulate, passionate, and visible spokesperson for Facing Forward and as a prominent fundraising face throughout the organization, among stakeholders, and in the Chicago community
- Ensure that Facing Forward’s messaging to donors, funders, and prospects is consistent across all channels; ensure that Facing Forward’s case for support conveys the overall brand and mission and elevates the organization’s profile
- Working with the Director, develop an actionable annual communications and social media work plan, with clear, quarterly goals, which includes planning and producing development publications
- Create and monitor the communications and publications expense budget
- Liaise with website vendors and manage day-to-day maintenance and updates, editing and writing posts, managing the blog schedule, managing social media posts, and regular e-communications
- Write press releases, write and submit articles on behalf of the Executive Director. Track press, media, and social media
- Gather and prepare appropriate materials for external speaking engagements
- Hire and supervise college Communications and Social Media Intern, delegating work as appropriate
Special Events (10% of the time)
- Working with the Board, develop corporate sponsor and table sales prospect list for the annual event, organize sponsor benefits. Assign solicitors. Track corporate sponsor and table goals
- Manage a portfolio of corporate sponsor prospects. Solicit sponsors and table buyers.
- Assist special events firm with the day-of logistics
- Write program book content or other communications material as needed for event
Administration and Other (5%)
- Actively participate in staff meetings
- Protect the organizations' value by keeping information confidential
- Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks, participating in professional organizations
- Maintain relationships with funder communities such as Forefront
- Perform other duties as assigned
Attendance at Meetings Required
- Development Team, Staff, 3H Committee
Attendance at Events Required
3H Event, Crop Walk, all other fundraising events
Follow the employer's instructions to apply for this job.