NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Sr Staff Nurse.
In this role, the successful candidate Provides clinical leadership and managment for a designated time period (shift) for a patient care unit (or clinical service in operative and ambulatory settings), consistent with the philosophy and goals of the institution, Departments of Nursing, unit, or program. Assists the Nurse Manager to develop and sustain an environment of excellence in patient / family service, growth and development of staff, and to apply evidence based practice to improve patient care
- Participates in and fosters staff involvement in evidence based practice and other nursing research efforts.
- Maintains awareness of research protocols applicable to unit, ensures knowledge of staff, protects rights of patients, and participates in assessment/evaluation of outcomes.
- Fosters an environment that promotes patient/family, physician and staff satisfaction, and communicates issues and concerns to Nurse Manager.
- Participates in the implementation of action plans and identifies new opportunities for improvement.
- Collaborates with Nurse Manager and other nursing leadership to support the unit-based quality and performance improvement program consistent with the service and departmental plan.
- Serves as a support and resource for the education of health care providers as may occur during the designated shift.
- Initiates professional development plan to improve and sustain clinical and leadership competency.
- Participates in evaluating the effectiveness of education and development activities in achieving desired outcomes.
- Facilitates attendance and participation by staff in educational offerings.
- Participates in developing the unit milieu supportive of education and development of the nursing staff and other health care providers, consistent with the goals of a learning organization.
- Collaborates with the Nurse Manager and Instructor in identifying, addressing, and utilizing available resources to meet the learning needs of professional and ancillary staff members.
- Promotes patient, physician and other consumer satisfaction by facilitating excellent customer service by all members of the health care team. Assists with compliance with standards and regulations of agencies pertinent to the unit or clinical service. Demonstrates a spirit of collaboration and effective cooperation with other Departments regarding clinical activity of other units in the service and hospital. Provides leadership support of other unit(s) in the service on weekends and holidays.
- Guides, develops, and counsels staff regarding practice and performance standards. Seeks consultation from the leadership on duty in implementing disciplinary measures of an imminent nature, using principles of the caring, fair, and professional work environment. Communicates regularly with the Nurse Manager regarding matters of patient safety, clinical practice, staff performance, and participates in the implementation of staff improvement plans. Provides input to and participates in informal and formal review of performance standards of staff assigned to the designated shift.
- Identifies, initiates investigation and proactively responds on an immediate basis to potential and actual risk management issues per standards and institutional policies, reporting same to Nurse Manager and to leadership on duty as indicated. Works with the Nurse Manager and other nursing leadership to facilitate and support a 24 hour environment conducive to creativity in practice and cooperation with all members of the health care team. Participates in interviewing and selecting staff for the unit or clinical service.
- Coordinates unit response to emergent patient and unit or clinical service events, communicating expeditiously with other leadership and response teams (airway, fire, etc.). Communicates significant patient care issues, family concerns, safety, and critical events to leadership on duty at the time, seeks consultation and assistance when indicated, and reports to the Nurse Manager or Director in timely manner.
- Functions as a respectful member of the health care team. Ensures pertinent communication of patient care and unit related issues from nursing staff on surrounding shifts. Coordinates patient care services for optimal efficiency with nursing leadership and other disciplines as indicated.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of responsibilities.
- Assists Nurse Manager with scheduling and staffing for optimal availability of resources. Establishes, and adjusts as needed, the assignment of nursing staff to patients based on unit specific standards, staff competency, and acuity of patients. Provides leadership for coordination of unit activity, serving as a role model and resource during a designated period of time (shift).
- Supports the mission, philosophy, standards, goals and objectives of the institution, department, unit, and service line.
- Participates in the development, promulgation, and implementation of process standards for the delivery of patient care relevant to area of practice.
- Serves as a role model for staff in considering needs and behaviors of specific patient age and cultural groups. Serves on the Airway Team as designated, and responds to clinical or other emergencies as needed.
- Assists in facilitating a collaborative interdisciplinary approach to achieve optimal patient care outcomes.
- Demonstrates awareness and recognition of the clinical plan of care on a twenty-four hour continuum. Ensures and participates in providing ongoing patient / family education to facilitate discharge planning consistent with the individual needs of the patient/family.
- Provides direct patient care as needed to support the clinical operations of the unit.
- Asumes responsibility for clinical operations of the unit for the designated shift, collaborating with nursing leadership for patient admission, transfer, and discharge activity.
- Acts as a professional role model to all levels of staff by incorporating expertise, critical thinking and related experience in all aspects of nursing process in the care of patients and families.
- Provides clinical leadership by assessing, implementing and evaluating the care provided to patients and families in the designated unit.
To qualify you must have a Licensure: Current Registered Professional Nurse in New York;Education: Baccalaureate degree in Nursing required.Competence: A minimum of two years of clinical practice in the care of the patient population served; ability to apply nursing process toward achievement of specific outcomes in an organized fashion which addresses patient/family satisfaction;Progressive advancement on the clinical ladder, demonstrated in achievement of at least Nurse Clinician, and preferably Senior Nurse Clinician level. Demonstrates the potential for leadership by serving competently as group practice leader, resource nurse, or charge; demonstrates ability to develop, guide, motivate, nurture, and coach others; participates in service or departmental committees, staff and/or patient education programs.Evidence of strong interpersonal skills, effective communication skills, and creative problem solving;Membership in pertinent professional organizations.br.
Required Licenses: Registered Nurse License-NYS
Certification in relevant practice area preferred
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.