Reporting to the MMI Research Service Manager, the Sr. Research Service Analyst will manage all activities related to sponsored pre- and post-award activities as well as non-sponsored accounts and performs complex financial analysis and planning for various Faculty within the Department. Oversees all aspects of research grants, contracts, cooperative agreements and subcontracts. Responsible for budgets, projections, account set up, monitoring, clean-up, salary distributions, financial reports, post-award management and closeout.
- Develops and monitors budgets for sponsored proposals and awards and provides oversight for the expenditure of funds, ensuring that funds are allocated according to applicable policies and regulations.
- Reviews and coordinates submission of sponsored project proposals through internal proposal system. Works with faculty to prepare budgets and provides guidance on budget narrative. Uses appropriate cost rates, such as indirect and benefit rates for proposed budgets. Reviews final proposal draft for accuracy, content, adherence to institutional, government, and other sponsor guidelines.
- Manages portfolio of non-sponsored accounts such as gift, endowment, discretionary and internal awards.
- Responsible for monthly reconciliation of specifically assigned accounts. Ensures that all accounts are monitored and that reports are prepared to maintain balanced accounts. Develops and maintains monthly budget monitoring systems and meets with faculty regularly to discuss accounts.
- Coordinates outgoing sub-award documents with the central research administration office and performs sub-recipient monitoring as required by JHU and SPH for all projects including complex international awards.
- Develops complex financial reports for forecasting, trending, and results analysis.
- Maintains salary distribution spreadsheets for faculty and lab employees and processes salary transfers as needed. Pre-reviews employee effort.
- Approves SAP documents for various transactions.
- Maintains knowledge of and ensures compliance with departmental, school, university, federal and sponsor policies, regulations and restrictions.
Degree of independent action performed on the job:
Works independently Internal and external contacts required as part of the job: Communicates with various internal and external contacts at all levels including faculty, departmental leadership, central administrative offices and sponsors.
Special skills and knowledge (required & preferred):
Ability to work on several tasks simultaneously and to meet various concurrent deadlines required. High-level of accuracy and attention to detail. Ability to make independent judgments and know appropriate level of authority within Department and where to seek any additional approvals required.