Assistant Director of Sorority and Fraternity Life
Pay Grade 41
The Division of Student Life at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville invites applications and nominations for the position of Assistant Director of Sorority and Fraternity Life. This is an exempt, 12 month, full-time, non-tenure track staff position.
The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, is the state's flagship research institution, a campus of choice for outstanding undergraduates, and a premier graduate institution. Enrolling 27,000 students, the campus is located in the foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains and beautiful East Tennessee. As a land-grant university, it is committed to excellence in learning, scholarship, and engagement. In all its activities, the university aims to advance the frontiers of human knowledge and enrich and elevate society. The university values intellectual curiosity, pursuit of knowledge, and academic freedom and integrity.
The Division of Student Life is comprised of over 400 staff members who serve our students through 20 departments and functions. The staff is actively engaged in the lives of our students, living and learning with them in our residence halls, student union, and other campus environments. The Division seeks candidates willing to engage, challenge, and support our students through intentional programs and services. In addition, we seek colleagues who are committed to teamwork and have a palpable passion for working with and serving all students.
The Assistant Director of Sorority and Fraternity Life at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville is a full-time professional staff member that will work as part of an advising team that provides support and guidance to sorority and fraternity chapters and governing councils in program development and providing leadership development programs for community/chapter officers. The sorority and fraternity community at the University of Tennessee, Knoxville consists of 40 sororities and fraternities with a membership exceeding 4,000 students. The Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life works with four Greek councils and organizations therein (Interfraternity Council, Multicultural Greek Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council, Panhellenic Council). This Assistant Director will have oversight responsibility for one or two of the four councils and serve as point of contact for individual chapters.
- Serve as the primary advisor for one or two Sorority and Fraternity Life governing councils. (Interfraternity Council, Multicultural Greek Council, National Pan-Hellenic Council, and Panhellenic Council);
- Develop and maintain relationships with students by creating a sense of visibility at organization meetings, council meetings, and/or various programs on campus; by meeting individually and in groups with council and chapter leadership; by discussing fraternal values and organization goals with sororities and fraternities; and by using students as partners to further the mission of the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life;
- Offer educational opportunities that develop skill and enhance student's collegiate experience;
- Assist with the recruitment and selection process of elected council officers;
- Attend with students regional and national leadership development programs;
- Meet with (inter)national staff and local volunteers to discuss the goals, accomplishments, and needs of organizations;
- Coordinate the membership recruitment or intake process;
- Evaluate and assess programs for effectiveness;
- Provide oversight for the management of sorority and fraternity facilities;
- Coordinate and facilitate community public relations including but not limited to website updates, reports, publications, and media releases;
- Work in collaboration with Sorority and Fraternity Life community constituents such as advisors, headquarters representatives, parents, and University staff, and to advance the mission and values of the Office of Sorority and Fraternity Life;
- Complete other responsibilities as assigned including assistance with programs and activities throughout the Division of Student Life and assignment to University committees.