We believe ESG (environmental, social and governance) risk factors can be relevant to fixed income investing, in terms of downside risk mitigation. We are committed to operating a high quality ESG investment risk management framework for all our managed fixed income assets.
We are seeking to recruit an experienced ESG analyst to work in our ESG Investment Risk team, which fits within the broader Investment Risk and Performance & Attribution function. The purpose of the role will be to support our ongoing efforts to incorporate ESG investment risks into our investment processes, in order to ensure we continue to demonstrate an offering that is compelling, robust and progressive.
Our model for ESG means that we seek to empower our investment teams to take ultimate ownership of ESG risks as it relates to their areas of interest, with ESG providing a critical support function.
The role would suit an individual with experience at a junior level, as it will enable the successful candidate to continue their career whilst playing an important and rewarding role in shaping our ongoing ESG efforts. This is a rare chance to gain exposure to the challenges and opportunities of incorporating ESG risks within a fixed income setting.
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
Primarily an internal facing role (although some scope to engage with external stakeholders) working actively with investment credit analysts based in the UK and the US to incorporate ESG investment risks in the investment process. The main focus is on corporate credit, although we also manage sovereign credit strategies.
- Support the sourcing and dissemination of ESG data and information to ensure our investment teams have access to credit relevant insights to inform on their investment analysis
- Build awareness, knowledge and understanding of our investment teams on credit relevant ESG risks by coordinating/leading on training, conducting or sharing insights from research, analysis and engagement efforts, and participation in internal forums. Lead on the identification and monitoring of credit relevant ESG risk exposures of investments through keeping updated on key ESG investment developments and best practice. Building strong relationships with investment teams in order to foster buy-in and active ESG incorporation
- Input into the development and maintenance of internal ESG investment related policies, information and reporting (for marketing and/or client purposes) systems, processes and procedures which facilitate the identification, monitoring of issuer ESG risks, in both the pre- and post-investment stages of the investment process
- Liaising and working effectively and efficiently with different internal support functions such as compliance, global business development, and operations in order to deliver on ESG tasks
- Scope to develop people management skills by taking on supervision of more junior members of the ESG staffing resource (e.g. ESG intern)
Whilst the above will involve conducting of desk-based research and review of third party data as routine, from time to time, there will be project based work.
Personal Skills and Experience:
- Demonstrable robust knowledge and understanding of ESG issues and how they relate in an investment context. A particular expertise in an area (e.g. governance matters (from a bondholder perspective), extractive sector etc.) is an advantage although the role will primarily require working across sectors, themes and issues
- Experience working in the investment industry in a function related to ESG. Good working knowledge of fixed income from an investment perspective and/or how ESG relates to this asset class would be preferred
- Strong academic background in a sustainable development/ESG related, finance/economic related field
- Robust research and analytical skills to produce high quality outputs, demonstrating an ability to evaluate ESG data sets to identify key points, apply good judgement and make recommendations which inform on credit investment risks
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills required in order to effectively communicate and engage investment teams on ESG credit risks
- Strong project management / organizational skills are essential in order to prioritize tasks effectively, as is the ability to demonstrate rigorous attention to detail, and ability to produce quality work whilst meeting deadlines
- Ability to take direction, work independently with minimal supervision and take ownership of tasks
- I.T. skills - strong working knowledge of MS excel an advantage for data orientated tasks. Familiarity of investment related information systems such as Bloomberg is an advantage
- Willingness to learn, ability to learn fast on new topics, demonstrate resilience and a positive 'can do' attitude
- Ability to work collaboratively and professionally with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders to build strong relationships in order to drive positive outcomes whilst acting as an ambassador for the firm's ESG capabilities
- A strong team mentality and a passion for ESG investing
- Demonstrate commercial awareness - responsive and adaptive to changing business / work priorities and needs