The Association of Progressive Rental Organizations (APRO) has retained Sterling Martin Associates to search for its next Executive Director. The position is located in Austin, TX.
APRO, the international voice for the rent-to-own industry, is a non-profit trade association based in Austin, TX. APRO provides the highest quality educational, leadership and professional development opportunities to its members and suppliers. APRO is also responsible for the protection, promotion and advancement of the rent-to-own industry.
APRO is committed to being the national rental-purchase trade association by providing valuable member benefits, maintaining a benevolent business climate and promoting professionalism in the industry with responsibility and integrity. The rent-to-own industry is an $8.5 billion industry composed of dealers who rent furniture, electronics, major appliances, and many other products with the option to buy. The industry includes over 9,000 stores in all 50 states, Canada, and Mexico. In addition, various e-commerce companies provide the rent-to-own transactions to over 15,000 locations in the United States.
APRO has an operating budget of approximately $1.9 million. The organization is governed by a 16-member Board of Directors, and there are currently eight full-time professional staff members. APRO includes 11 active standing or ad hoc committees covering a wide variety of activities, and a Vendor Advisory Committee (VAC) serves a critical function in addressing APRO suppliers’ needs and issues. Member participation on APRO’s committees is welcomed and encouraged. For more information, please visit www.rtohq.org.
In accordance with APRO’s Bylaws, the Executive Director provides leadership and direction for all APRO activities, including but not limited to setting and guiding the vision and mission; long and short-range strategic planning and implementation; promoting strong leadership among all constituents (members, vendors, staff, boards, etc.); exercising financial oversight and fiduciary responsibility for the organization; ensuring the long-term success of the organization by minimizing risks related to legal, regulatory, and other liabilities; developing organizational policies, procedures, programs, compensation plans, benefits; and other broad organizational initiatives. The Executive Director is responsible to the Board of Directors for the execution of the APRO’s strategic and operating plans in accordance with budgets, policies, and programs approved by the Board.
Specific Duties & Responsibilities
Under the general direction of the APRO Board of Directors, the Executive Director is responsible for the following specific duties and responsibilities:
Membership and Sponsor/Partners
- Maintains an ever-present focus on APRO’s members.
- Listens to, understands, and responds to the needs of APRO’s membership – large and small members and vendors alike.
- Strengthens the role, visibility, and benefit of membership and volunteer involvement within APRO; provides frequent and friendly accessibility and opportunity for the personal communication to individual members of the Association.
- Identifies, cultivates, and recruits new members to the Association.
- Engages and encourages member involvement in issues facing the Association and the rent-to-own industry.
- Demonstrates the philosophy that APRO “belongs” to the members and that the APRO staff and governing board serve the collective membership.
- Provides sound stewardship for existing sponsorships while attracting new sponsors and partners to the Association.
- Develops, communicates, and implements a strategic plan, including short- and long-term goals and objectives for the Association and develops a system for monitoring and evaluating the Association’s performance in meeting these goals and objectives with the Board and staff.
- Communicates APRO’s mission, vision, strategies, policies and major objectives to the Association's staff as well as to APRO’s members.
- Guides development, communicates, and assures implementation of the Association’s strategic plan and budget.
- Supports and implements APRO policy established by the Board of Directors; interprets, further defines, responds to, and monitors policy matters as well as prioritizing competing policy interests and projects, while allocating Association resources to achieve policy goals.
- Ensures financial integrity and soundness through accurate disclosure of all assets and liabilities of the Association and ensures that APRO is fulfilling its fiduciary responsibility as a membership organization; evaluates the cost and other requirements of actions and programs and obtains necessary Board approval.
- Manages and administers, on a day-to-day basis, the operations and general affairs of the Association, pursuant to its Bylaws and policies of the Board; approves expenditures within the limits of the Board–approved budget.
- Hires, manages, directs and evaluates the APRO professional staff to accomplish the strategic goals and objectives in each of their respective areas; assists the staff in establishing annual goals and objectives; ensures that goals and activities to support the Association's current objectives are implemented; ensures that functional initiatives are aligned with the strategic plan.
- Creates a culture among staff that encourages and sustains innovation, appropriate risk-taking, trust, and accountability; encourages staff to seek new and creative ideas through education, research, and curiosity.
- Leads the strategic efforts to position the annual convention and trade show as the premier event of its kind; represents APRO at official functions and addresses members and vendors on behalf of APRO.
- Represents the Association publicly; serves proactively as APRO’s leader; serves as spokesperson and promoter of the rent-to-own industry both within the Association and before the public.
- Develops and maintains relationships with related organizations and leaders.
- Reviews activity reports and financial statements to determine progress and status in attaining objectives and revises objectives and plans in accordance with current conditions; has oversight of the Association’s financial and asset management, including Association records and reports.
- Ensures the Association's conformance with professional standards, applicable federal and state regulations, and policies established by the Board of Directors.
- Maintains effective working relationships with the Association’s auditors, consultants, and independent contractors.
- Maintains a knowledge and understanding of the latest trends in association management and the rent-to-own industry.
- Provides notice of APRO Board meetings; meets regularly with the Board of Directors and participates in all Board meetings as an ex officio, nonvoting member; prepares the meeting agenda in collaboration with the President of the Association.
- Reports all major and strategy-level activities to the Board of Directors.
- Assists the Board of Directors in the administration of:
- Strategic planning process.
- Election process.
- Board orientation.
- Recommends to the Board of Directors appropriate policies and standards governing the Association's operations.
- Provides the Board of Directors with periodic progress updates.
- Ensures that adequate documentation is provided to Board members in advance for all major agenda items; works with the Director of Finance to ensure that appropriate financial reports are made available to the Board on a timely basis.
- Assists the Director of Finance in preparing the annual budget, and, in concert with APRO’s Treasurer, presents the budget to the Board for annual approval or mid-year adjustment.
- Serves as a key advisor and partner to the Board.
- Assists the Board of Directors and its committees in the performance of their responsibilities and participates regularly in their meetings.