Apply online at www.emhs.org/careers - job number 44345. If you have any questions, feel free to call 207-973-7100.
The Manager of Planning and Market Analysis provides a broad range of analytical and project support services within the EMHS Office of Strategy. This position works collaboratively with leaders to identify growth opportunities and to present findings to key stakeholders across Eastern Maine Healthcare Systems (EMHS). The Manager supervises the Planning team which compiles and analyzes data including demographic, market and applicable hospital and physician information to make strategic recommendations. Focused projects include the following:
· Market Assessments – economic, demographic, competition, health status, etc.
· Periodic environmental scans to maintain and share knowledge of community, regional and national health care landscape and trends
· Service Volume trends and forecasts
· Demographic trends and forecasts
· Data visualization and mapping
· Provider staff supply/ demand studies
· Maine Certificate of Need
· Competitor assessments
· Understanding of market research resources and tools to advance strategic projects
· Advisory to financial feasibility, business plans, service line development and facility planning
· Consumer preference and other market oriented surveys – development and analysis with Marketing and other departments
· Strategic Planning support
The Manager serves as the programmer/ modeler for analysis, planning, market research, and planning analysis expertise, consistent with the mission and strategic priorities of the system to advance healthcare delivery and wellness.
The Manager works in the Corporate Strategy Office of EMHS, a multi-hospital integrated health system which serves residents of and visitors to Maine. This position oversees a staff of professionals assigned to develop and implement Planning services. As requested by the EMHS System Director, Planning and Strategy, and other EMHS executives, this position will serve on various committees and task forces to advance the interests of EMHS.
In this role, the Manager must demonstrate and promote excellent supervisory, customer service, strategic analytical, oral and written communication, and project management skills.
· Staff development: Recruit, engage, train and evaluate staff. Support their professional development; assign and prioritize projects.
· Manages Department responsibilities; prepare and manage the annual department budget;
· Other administrative functions as required.
· Monitor, analyze and report on healthcare industry trends, formulate environmental assessments and make strategy recommendations
· Support strategic planning process
· Complete Certificates of Need (CON) applications as required; and work with the State Certificate of Need Unit throughout the review process. Keep up to date with regulatory changes regarding CON, serve as the System's expert on the Maine CON process.
· Develop/ Model market research analyses; share results with system leadership.
· Assist with supply and demand information for medical staff development planning
· Advise on data collected for periodic regional Community Health Needs Assessments.
· Assist members in master facility plan development and other space planning initiatives.
· Develop presentations and speak to various groups as helpful about areas of expertise.
· Develop system-wide volume forecasts for members for annual operating budget and five-year strategic forecast.
· Act as contact for outside consultants during specific engagements, coordinate requested data collection efforts, and provide insights to consultants and member organization during the engagement. Participate in RFP evaluations when required.
· Serve as Planning expert in the review of capital investment project reviews
· Supervise research and preparation of periodic environmental analyses, including statistical reports, demographic summaries, and competitive reviews.
· Participate in evaluation of potential analytic tools and upgrades. Recommend options if issues arise. Assist with implementation and deployment of new analytical tools.
· Serve as an in-house expert on market data and use of analytic tools, such as those that are part of EMHS' Advisory Board membership.
· Locate and evaluate potential analytical resources and data sources, including hospital and other healthcare utilization, demographic resources, and provider data.
· Supervise Planning's maintenance of the Department's statewide hospital, marketing, demographic, provider and healthcare utilization databases.
· Serve as content expert or delegate to others as requested on System's Enterprise Information Management task standardization force.
· Act as liaison with relevant vendors, eg mapping system
Mature results oriented individual with a high degree of drive and initiative. Must be comfortable working with multiple datasets to generate effective studies for decision makers. Excellent relational, as well as written and verbal communication skills required. Must be able to lead and work with multiple work teams, manage multiple projects, handle shifting priorities, and work both independently and with teams.
Must maintain institutional, customer and Planning department confidentiality. Must be a successful manager and coach of a professional team. Experience in working in matrix reporting relationship preferred.
Master's degree in healthcare or business administration strongly preferred; eight to ten years of experience in healthcare planning, business development or market analysis may substitute for education.
Must possess understanding of the healthcare industry and relevant trends, as well as knowledge of planning models, and ability to write insightful analytical reports. Must be skilled in bringing analysis to assist with problem solving.
Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, Powerpoint, and Access products and the ability and willingness to keep current with other systems/ tools used in Planning services.
Physical requirements include the ability to sit and/or stand long periods, light lifting, bending, some walking, hand dexterity sufficient to manage keyboard functions, and visual acuity. Travel will be necessary periodically. Keyboard skills are required.
Equal Opportunity Employment
We are an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, disability status, gender, sexual orientation, ancestry, protected veteran status, national origin, genetic information or any other legally protected status.