This is a full-time, permanent position for Boston University. This position is based in Boston, MA and reports to the Assistant Director of Applications in Information Services & Technology.
The Web Team in IS&T at BU is looking for a Web Developer II to develop web-based applications and WordPress plugins to support a multi-site, multi-network environment hosting over 1000 websites and web applications on bu.edu.
The BU Web Team build apps using reliable tools our team knows and trusts, and uses best practices for security, scalability, and maintainability. We build unit testing into our software and are working toward a day when we are developing in a continuous integration environment (DevOps approach).
We work with PHP/WordPress and Python/Django using Linux/Apache/MySQL stack. We are a collaborative team who genuinely enjoys working together and are passionate about our work. We work closely with the Marketing & Communications unit at BU on website design, and we are strongly focused on providing an exceptional user experience for visitors to the Boston University web.
If you were to join the BU Web Team, here are the kinds of things you may do over the course of a typical work week:
- Develop a WordPress plugin (with unit tests) to add a new feature to our WordPress environment.
- Collaborate with peers on the Web Team to review and provide feedback on another developer's application and/or WordPress code.
- Contribute to internal tools to help us improve our development processes and procedures.
- Work with our systems administration and/or systems operations staff in addressing a production issue.
- Help our skilled support team triage tickets and resolve bugs, incidents, or fulfill escalated service requests.
- Troubleshoot a complex service issue and work with peers to implement a fix or workaround.
- Meet with peers (IS&T and/or MarCom) to brainstorm a solution to a project requirement, supply effort estimates to project management to tackle the problem, and develop/implement the agreed-upon solution.
Here are some things we consider to be critical traits of a successful Web Developer for BU:
- You possess a laser-sharp focus on security issues, including best practices for prevention of issues such as cross-site request forgery, SQL injection, etc.
- You have a curiosity about how things work.
- You have built professional web applications and/or WordPress plugins that you can point to as things you've built.
- Your work is available for review (technical assessment) with access to a code repository (preferably Github).
- You are intimately familiar with the WordPress loop and you know how to approach solutions in the WordPress way.
- You write readable, understandable, and testable code with an eye towards maintainability.
- You are a strong communicator. You can explain complex technical concepts to clients, designers, and support personnel.
- You enjoy mentoring and teaching more junior developers.
- You know how the web works, know HTTP and TCP/IP, know what a good API looks like, and possess strong computer science fundamentals.
- You are ready and eager to help fix things that break (they will!) and can be available for off-hour deployments and the occasional late weekend night with the team for major releases.
Here are some things we consider BONUS traits/skills for this role:
- You have contributed to WordPress core code.
- You have developed and/or contributed to a WordPress open source project, plugin, or theme.
- You have experience in higher education.
- You have previous experience with large-scale websites that operate at a high volume with seasonal spikes.
Salary: Grade 54