NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Clinical Lab Technologist.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for performing complex clinical laboratory tests on specimens for diagnostic purposes under minimal supervision
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Performs and documents preventive maintenance procedures and instrument function checks. Performs preventive maintenance procedures at each workstation as required. Documents all maintenance performed, both scheduled and unscheduled. Documents all required information in the appropriate section of the instrument problem log.
- Follows approved guidelines in approaches to problem solving and devises appropriate courses of action when patient results, control values and instrument function parameters are inconsistent or invalid: including investigation of possible sources of variance/interference, by taking appropriate action and/or performing additional testing as necessary to assure the accuracy of the reported patient value. Maintains sufficient working supplies in order to assure the continued integrity of workstation operations. Maintains up-to-date pending logs to ensure that all specimens have been processed accordingly.
- Performs additional procedures as required to ensure the quality of the laboratory testing performed; and documents this activity. Performs and records periodic quality control analysis, instrument function checks and preventive maintenance procedures following approved policy. Correlates final patient result with known facts concerning the patients history (previous results) to determine goodness of fit and recognized illogical results.
- Calls Critical Values to nursing unit immediately upon their completion and records the name of person to whom the results were given as well as the time of the call. Demonstrates sufficient knowledge or expertise in dealing with scientific principles involved in the methodology performed; as well as alternative methodologies and their application to a given situation. Brings unresolved problems to the attention of a supervisor/assistant supervisor(s) and is prepared to report on the results of initial problem investigation and discuss possible causes and solutions by presenting factual and objective data.
- Performs laboratory tests and procedures, which require technical skill and an exercise of independent judgment with minimal supervision, and documents results to ensure compliance with Medical Center and regulatory requirements. Applies sound technical judgment in evaluating problems and developing prompt, reasonable, workable alternatives, which benefit the patient within established guidelines of the department. Handles varying workloads while maintaining accuracy. Follows approved policies and procedures in performing specific methodologies and instrument operations and follows approved policies for proper recording (accuracy and legibility) and reporting of all results.
To qualify you must have a Bachelor's Degree in Clinical Laboratory Technology from a program registered by the NYS Department of Education or Bachelor's Degree in the major of biology, chemistry or physical sciences from an accredited college or university. One year in a clinical laboratory (Completion of an internship program at a qualified institution is acceptable). License as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist by the State of New York based on the on the Special Provision of the Regulations of the Commissioner in accordance with the Clinical Laboratory Technology Practice Act. Effective communication and interpersonal skills required.
Required Licenses: Clinical Lab Technologist-NYS
Proficient computer skills. ASCP registry preferred. Multitasking abilities and flexibility are a plus
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.