NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Director - Bed Management.
This position is responsible for overall management responsibility for 24/7 operation of Bed Management Department.
- Facilitates the placement of patients throughout the hospital using excellent clinical, organizational and interpersonal skills during the process of bed placement for the medical, surgical, critical care, telemetry and the women and children's service areas. Ensures the daily operational procedures and standards are maintained in accordance with established hospital guidelines, policies and regulatory agencies standards.
- Monitors Bed Management capital and operating budgets. Ensures that mechanisms are established and utilized to monitor salary and non-salary expenses, to ensure department spending is within approved budgets. Ensures delivery of optimal service while promoting fiscal responsibility.
- Monitors patient admissions, transfers, discharges, census to facilitate patient throughput. Monitors the bed board for accuracy. Identifies points in patient flow which may become barriers to efficient, safe patient placement and participates in emergency management planning and works with all external emergency agencies on issues of bed capacity and patient transfers.
- Collects, analyzes, evaluates and summarizes data regarding bed utilization.
- Uses independent judgment and initiative to identify and resolve issues.
- Provides support to an organizational culture that lends the highest degree of service excellence standards to all customer groups.
- Fosters Teamwork - Communicates effectively and works collaboratively with all members of the healthcare team to ensure efficient and proactive patient placement.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be licensed as a registered professional nurse in the State of New York.
- Must have a master's degree in Nursing or related field.
- Minimum of five years experience as Manager or Department Head in health care environment.
- Working knowledge of managed care and related federal and state regulations and requirements.
- Ability to use and manage technology as needed.
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills.
- Requires strong clinical, communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively and collaboratively with all professional and support staff. Inter/Intra departmental conflict resolution skills required.
- Prior experience in Patient Access or one of its constituent work areas (Admitting, Outpatient Registration, Pre-Admission Clinical Evaluation, Pre-Admission Testing) is preferred.
- Experience in Nursing is preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.