NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Registered Dietitian based in our Midwood, Brooklyn location.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for providing optimum nutritional care to Cancer Center patients through nutrition screening, assessment, support,counseling, metabolic monitoring, and medical team communication. Functions as a resource person to Nutrition students/residents and medical team regarding the nutritional management of patients.
- Applies current research information on nutrition-related topics to practice. Shares information with nutrition staff members and medical team. Presents at conferences and submits for publication articles and papers on Nutrition and Clinical Dietetics, whenever possible. Assist in orienting and training new employees, interns and volunteers. Develop advance skills by training and cross covering for high risk specialty areas (e.g. Intensive Care Unit, Pediatrics, Transplant, Oncology/Nutrition Support).
- Implements cost-containment processes in selection of nutrition care therapies and products while maintaining quality. Participates in quality assurance processes. Assists is creating and updating patient education material as needed. Attends conferences when possible. Provides presentation and written materials to staff related to education program within 1 month of attendance.
- Functions as a resource person to Nutrition Students and medical team regarding the nutritional management of Cancer Center patients. Coordinates nutrition care with health team members. Attends unit rounds. Attends interdisciplinary patient care rounds as appropriate. Communicates with Internship Coordinator/ Clinical Manager relevant issues related to interns progress and professional development. Resolves internship related issues in a timely and effective manner.
- Participates in internship preceptorship. Updates rotation packets annually by providing relevant literature, case studies, assignments and special projects. Participating in Clinical Classroom teaching. Reviews intern pre-rotation and rotational assignments for accuracy and understanding. Provides guidance, patient assignments and constructive criticism. Completes and reviews the final rotation evaluation with the intern on a timely basis. Assists dietetic interns in the selection and development of case presentations when appropriate.
- Provides in-service education. Explains the priorities and specialties of own units to other health care professionals, nutrition colleagues, students and volunteers. Informs health team members about codes, regulations, professional guidelines, departmental policies and procedures that are related to nutrition care as needed. Presents lectures to health care team, colleagues and students in areas of specialty, whenever possible. Participates in Medical Center Conferences and wellness events, whenever possible.
- Conducts mealtime visits and food intake analysis, when appropriate, to evaluate patient's acceptance and tolerance of nutritional regimen. Revises nutrition care plans, as appropriate, and communicates changes to appropriate personnel (food service, social service, nursing, pharmacy, physician, etc.). Communicates with health team members the results and revisions in nutrition care. Communicates with relief Nutritionist during absence and off-duty hours to ensure continuity of quality patient care. Effectively communicates with Clinical Manager to resolve patient care, professional and/or personal issues.
- Provides written materials to facilitate learning/change. Documents education in the interdisciplinary patient education pathway. Conducts all scheduled Nutrition Classes for patients. Conducts mealtime visits and food intake analysis, when appropriate, to evaluate patient's acceptance and tolerance of nutritional regimen. Revises nutrition care plans, as appropriate, and communicates changes to appropriate personnel (food service, social service, nursing, pharmacy, physician, etc.).
- Reviews the medical records for factors that may affect nutrient intake and requirements, or nutritional status. Obtains nutrition or diet histories from patient and/or patient's families to determine food consumption patterns, nutrition knowledge, and dietary compliance when appropriate. Determines accurately energy and nutrient requirements based on age, sex, state of health, and level of activity at initial intervention and upon reassessment as appropriate. Identifies desired outcome of nutrition care, verifies that each nutrition-related problem listed in the medical record has been addressed. Provides patients and/or patient families with nutrition counseling and education when appropriate.
- Assesses patient's nutritional status/risk effectively and plans appropriate treatment accordingly. Uses established criteria to screen patients within timeframes outlined in department policy and assigns a risk level. Documents initial intervention and follow-up in the medical record (with HIS reference) or in HIS directly in accordance with departmental policy. Responds to nutrition consults within timeframes outlined in departmental policy and documents in the medical records.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To qualify you must have a Bachelor's Degree in Nutrition or related major. Registered Dietitian (RD) approved though the American Dietetic Association or RD eligible. Good communication and interpersonal skills. Clinical experience in a healthcare facility required (requirement will vary depending upon the area of specialty).
Required Licenses: Registered Dietitian
Master's Degree in Clinical Nutrition or related field. Experience working with oncology population
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.