NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Patient Relations Representative.
In this role, the successful candidate will serve as a liaison between patients, families, visitors, and theMedical Center staff. The representative assists patients in understanding hospital policies, procedures,services, and obtaining solutions to problems and concerns. The representative may initially handle agrievance via a call center or during rounding, documents the concern appropriately in the PatientFeedback System and forwards it to the assigned specialist for resolution. This position requires on-call ability.
- Participates in hospital-wide Patient Experience initiatives to further improve thepatient/family experience.
- Educates staff and patients to patients' rights and responsibilities.
- Acts as Notary Public for patients and families throughout the Medical Center
- Serves as a resource and support and facilitates communication for the entire healthcareteam in establishing an environment of proactive service recovery.
- Reports trends in patient feedback to the Patient Satisfaction Committee and leadership,and works with the health care team to identify possible quality improvement initiatives.
- Directs all medical complaints to the office of the Chief Medical Officer and RiskManagement with guidance from the Specialist
- Documents all patient complaints and compliments in the Patient Feedback System andshares feedback and suggestions with involved staff as appropriate.
- Serves as a liaison between patient and staff when requested by patient/family and/orhealth care team, and assists patient and/or family to gain resolution within the limits ofestablished organizational policy, principles or medical care.
- Conducts daily visits on assigned units, meeting with patients and families on anindividual basis to determine their non-clinical expectations, needs and concerns withinthe limits of established organizational policy, principles or medical care. Additionallyparticipates in interdisciplinary team rounds to facilitate non-clinical communication ofthese identified expectations, needs and concerns and assist the healthcare team inresponding as needed.
- Investigates and facilitates resolution of quality of care concerns/complaints/grievancesfor all patients and families/visitors by engaging with their healthcare providers. Workscollaboratively with the healthcare team in clarifying issues, and promoting prompt andcaring resolution of patient/family concerns.
- Distributes Advance Directive information and serves as a resource for patients,caregivers and staff.
- Interprets and explains NYU Hospital Center's policies, procedures, programs and servicesthat pertain to patient rights and responsibilities, as requested.
- Distributes Patients' Bill of Rights when requested and answer questions pertaining tothose rights.
- Facilitates the flow of communication from patient, family member and/or visitor tohospital staff that promotes maintenance of good working relationships essential to theaccomplishment of assigned duties and enhanced delivery of health care.
- Identifies priority patient experience issues and suggests solutions
- Makes proactive rounds to assess patients experience and addresses any question they,family member or visitor, may have regarding their situation and ensures that their needsare met.
- Provides emotional support as needed to patients, families and visitors.
- Participates in special projects.
- Participates in coverage of call center and answers telephone within three rings usingestablished greeting in a courteous and professional manner and provides properassistance, including initial documentation of grievance or concern, taking accurate phonemessages and/or refers caller by transferring to the appropriate person.
- Anticipates the needs of the patient population served in relation to their age, culture,language, hearing and/or visually impaired, etc, and provides customer service.
- Handles routine inquiries/issues, and directs patient complaints to appropriate individualwith complete information.
- Initiates appropriate service recovery methods to resolve concerns and directsinquiries/complaints to appropriate Patient Relations Specialist for evaluation, resolutionand follow through.
To qualify you must have a High school diploma or equivalent Word processing, typing, email and general computer skills 3-4 years working experience in similar area, i.e. customer service
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.