NYU Langone Medical Center, a world-class, patient-centered, integrated, academic medical center, is one of the nation's premier centers for excellence in clinical care, biomedical research and medical education. Located in the heart of Manhattan, NYU Langone is composed of four hospitals - Tisch Hospital, its flagship acute care facility; Rusk Rehabilitation; the Hospital for Joint Diseases, one of only five hospitals in the nation dedicated to orthopaedics and rheumatology; and Hassenfeld Children's Hospital, a comprehensive pediatric hospital supporting a full array of children's health services across the medical center - plus the NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. The medical center's tri-fold mission to serve, teach and discover is achieved 365 days a year through the seamless integration of a culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education and research. For more information, go to www.NYULMC.org.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Supervisor - Out Patient Billing.
This position provides the daily management of the pre-arrival function for the Patient Patient Financial Service Department, as well as serve as a matrix relationship to other patient-focused care Service Line registration sites. This position coordinates such functions with other divisions of the department and for various customers, including service line leadership and Medical Staff. This position optimizes staff performance through process, redesign, policy/procedure implementation, communications, and outcome feedback; this includes professional development and empowerment of staff; supervision of human, fiscal and other resources to promote desired outcomes with attention to quality, efficiency and cost. This position attends meetings as a representative of the department, and maintains current knowledge of financial clearance/intake processes and systems; regulatory and 3rd party payor issues; and automated systems through literature review and in-service.
- Demonstrates knowledge of the organizations Service Standards and incorporates them into the performance of duties.
- Supervises clerical & management employees. Interviews prospective employees and recommends staff hiring and promotions. Trains, evaluates and documents staff performance and performs personnel counseling. Recognizes the need to counsel subordinates and counsels effectively in a timely fashion. Defines the expected outcome and time of completion of tasks to the employee. Assures that all employees are aware of their responsibilities and that there is a clearstandard of performance. Offers guidance for improving performance to the employee. Disciplines subordinates when necessary, in accordance with personnel policies and procedures. Brings to the employees attention areas of performance needing improvement as they are recognized. Approaches the performance review process constructively and conducts it in accordance with personnel and departmental guidelines and procedures. Assures that the goals of the department are being furthered by staff.
- Establishes work hours for employees, (including breaks, lunches, and any necessary overtime), assigns staff responsibilities amongst staff, and monitors their work. Defines the expected outcome and time of completion and communicates the objective of the assignment. Institutes appropriate follow-up with the employee to ensure that the desired outcome is reached. Assigns work in order to accomplish goals in timely manner. Solicits feedback from the employee to ensure the assignment is understood and makes allowances for individual initiative. Allocates resources appropriately so that task can be accomplished. Informs the employees of their assignment immediately upon reporting to work or in advance. Maintains all employee records (including monthly posted schedules, time clock cards,and yearly attendance cards). Prepares and assures the accuracy of the weekly payroll time report, and submits required forms to payroll. Monitors records to ascertain possible problems in job performance (e.g. excessive absenteeism or tardiness, low productivity, etc.). Communicates these in a timely manner to involved employees and management.
- Develops and encourages a program of staff development. Plans the training and development staff in advance of implementation. Ensures that policies and procedures are up-to-date, well organized, and easily accessible to the staff. Encourages staff to pursue continuing education and seek professional growth. Recognizes and identifies staff needs and develops staff programs to meet these needs (eg. in-service training). Distributes educational material/literatures to the staff as it becomes available. Trains staff members effectively and maintains detailed records of performance and training status of probationary employees. Pursues a program of professional development for self through continuing education, attendance at seminars, etc.
- Participates in planning new programs and coordinating all procedures and implementing them. Communicates the need for new policies and procedures to superior in a timely manner. Submits reports/plans, which are requested by superiors on time. Develops short and long range plans for the accomplishment of goals; addresses all contingencies in a plan.Schedules conferences with superiors as agreed upon. Presents new and innovative ideas, gives them the appropriate follow-up, and if necessary, makes adjustments for accommodations. Understands what the department goals are and sets objective in order to reach them. Utilizes audit results, quality assurance reports, and accident reports to improve the quality of services.Maintains an awareness of issues that involve quality assurance as set by internal standards and external agencies.
- Prepares reports and maintains statistical records for Revenue Cycle Operations. Researches the information accurately and thoroughly. Makes recommendations as to conclusions. Composes related and required information in a clear and well-written manner.
- Participates in cost control activities by seeking the most effective method of delivering services and maintains an awareness of the cost impact of decisions and actions. Evaluates practices and identifies areas of excessive material and or costs. Arranges work to reduce or void overtime. Ensures that supplies are used effectively and efficiently.
- Must have a Bachelor's Degree and 2-3 years of healthcare experience, including previous supervisory experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent communication and organization skills are required.
- Progressive supervisory experience in a large healthcare setting with responsibility for the supervision of multiple sites is preferred.
- Experience in transforming a diverse work team and multiple functions into a customer-centered orientation is preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Medical Center provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents. And just as our employees invest so much in us, we invest in our employees. We're pleased to have one of the most competitive compensation packages not only among New York's hospitals and healthcare institutions, but within the corporate sector as well. We begin with exceptional medical, dental, and drug coverage. We enhance this basic coverage with comprehensive wellness programs, and supplement those with retirement investment and benefits plans, and generous paid time off allowances. Add to that a very attractive tuition program, and you'll see just some of the ways that NYU Langone Medical Center demonstrates our commitment to our employees.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, military and veteran status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information.