The University of Colorado Boulder is seeking an inclusive and engaging individual to lead and direct campus Recreation Services. This is a highly responsible leadership professional position in charge of the administration and operation of the University Recreation Services department consisting of a state-of-the-art, 305,000 square-foot multi-purpose Recreation Center, multiple gymnasiums, a satellite recreation facility, vast intramural, outdoor and club sports programs and numerous outdoor recreation fields and courts serving the needs of students, faculty, staff, alumni and guests of the University. The Director provides vision and direction and is directly responsible for planning, development, execution and evaluation of facilities, programs and services.
The Director is primarily responsible for Recreations Services’ standard of performance through carrying out policy, directing financial and human resources operations, delivering quality programs and services, advocating for inclusion and diversity, maintaining health and safety requirements, and ensuring student development and accessibility and connection to students.
Who we are:
Recreation Services exists to provide opportunities for physical and social interaction that satisfy varying degrees of interest within the university community and to ultimately support academic productivity. The Department provides quality programs, services, employment and leadership opportunities and facilities designed to promote a sense of inclusive community, support student development, and encourage the pursuit of a healthy lifestyle.
The University of Colorado Student Government (CUSG), and its Joint Board (Recreation Board) operate Recreation Services as a cost center, allocating over $5 million annually in student fees to fund its operations and programs. The department is governed by the Recreation Board, a joint board of CUSG, and administratively reports to the Division of Student Affairs.
What your key responsibilities will be:
- Direct all Recreation Services programs and provide financial oversight for an approximately $11 million operation. This includes hiring, training, and performance management of 42 professional and classified employees, more than 350 student employees and approximately 100 recreation instructors (coaches, class instructors, etc.).
- Oversee all capital planning, development plans for improvements, major repairs, new construction, and additions to present recreation facilities as needed.
- Direct both the operational and educational aspects of the Recreation Services department including building management, fitness and wellness activities, sport clubs, intramural sports, outdoor programs and challenge course, and facility scheduling.
- Provide oversight on all budgeting and fiscal controls, including the generation of information for decision-making and contract negotiations. While general policies are subject to the approval of the university administration and the Recreation Center Joint Board, the Director must exercise initiative and judgement in planning the operations of the programs and services of Recreation Services for both the short term and long term.
- Work closely with the student-led Recreation Center Joint Board and various student groups. This includes attending regularly scheduled meetings such as the Recreation Center Joint Board, the Finance Board, CUSG Legislative Council, various student organization functions, and others that pertain to good Recreation Services student relations. Additionally, this position works with various university departments, including but not limited to Campus Controller’s Office, Procurement Services, University Legal Counsel, Human Resources, Facilities Management, University Police, various Student Affairs offices, and others to make and implement policy.
What we can offer:
Annual Salary Range: $105,000-$130,000 commensurate with skills and experience.
The University of Colorado offers excellent benefits, including medical, dental, retirement, paid time off, tuition benefit and ECO Pass. The University of Colorado Boulder is one of the largest employers in Boulder County and offers an inspiring higher education environment. Learn more about the University of Colorado Boulder.
Be impactful. Be engaging. Be visionary. Be Boulder.