Prospect Sierra School
First Grade Lead Teacher
Overview of School
Prospect Sierra School, a prominent East Bay independent school, is seeking a full-time First Grade Lead Teacher at the Elementary School campus beginning in August 2017.
Prospect Sierra is an independent, coed K–8 school located on two campuses in El Cerrito, California. Our mission states: “Our exceptional teachers inspire students to seek deep, meaningful understanding; to develop strong academic skills; and to become creative and independent thinkers.” The National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS) featured Prospect Sierra as a Model School of the Future, among only seven schools worldwide, in its publication A Guide to Becoming a School of the Future (2011). Please visit our website, www.prospectsierra.org, for more information.
Overview of Position
This position is for a first grade lead teacher. This teacher will report to the Elementary Division Head and will work in close collaboration with the other first grade lead teacher. This is a full time teaching position.
As a first grade lead teacher, the successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
- Teach SEL, math, literacy, and humanities lessons weekly.
- Support the social and emotional development of first graders using the Toolbox Project and the RULER approach.
- Collaborate weekly with the entire first grade team, to ensure consistency between the two first grade classes.
- Uphold strong commitment to a balanced literacy approach, which includes word study, spelling instruction, and units of study from Lucy Calkins reading and writing program.
- Maintain our math program by following the Bridges and Number Corner curriculum currently in place.
- Coordinate grade level study trips and buddy visits between campuses throughout the year.
- Collaborate with specialist teachers regarding individual behavioral and learning needs for specific students.
- Collaborate weekly with first grade learning specialist to determine pull-out and push-in support needs for the class.
- Maintain regular communication and contact with parents, including regular newsletters.
- Assess students regularly through unit assessments, reading assessments, projects, and class work.
- Write narrative reports two times annually for all students.
- Provide ongoing support and feedback to a full time teaching assistant, who will take on specific classroom responsibilities over the course of the year based on credential program requirements.
Prospect Sierra School’s commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our hiring process; people of color and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
The salary is competitive. Benefits included.
How to Apply
Send a résumé (including contact information for three references) and one-page cover letter to:
Abby Guinn, Elementary School Head