Since 2000, a beacon of pre-school through 8 independent school education in Southern Nevada has focused on the intellectual, social-emotional, and physical growth of the next generation of leaders and learners. The Alexander Dawson School at Rainbow Mountain employs faculty and staff leaders to spark student curiosity, celebrate discovery, and inspire deep learning. To do all this, the school embraces best practices and emerging trends in innovation, technology, instructional design, and information services.
Alexander Dawson seeks a talented, experienced, and visionary Director of Innovation and Information Services to lead its academic technology and information services departments. This position reports to the Director of Education.
The school is located on a beautiful 33-acre facility in the planned community of Summerlin, just outside the Red Rock Canyon National Conservation Area. Less than 30 minutes from the Las Vegas resort strip, the community of Summerlin is ideal for those who love the outdoors with abundant opportunities for hiking, biking and golf.
Position: Director of Innovation and Information Services
Reports to: Director of Education
Organization: The Alexander Dawson School at Rainbow Mountain
Post date: February 1, 2017
Application deadline: February 24, 2017
Decision announced: March 31, 2017
Start date: July 1, 2017 (or earlier if mutually agreeable)
- Working under the direction of the director of education, develop and implement a strategic vision for innovation, academic technology, instructional design, and cross-curricular STEAM initiatives throughout the school
- Provide leadership, guidance, and support for the instructional designers and others who support innovation and instructional technology initiatives
- Inspire the technology team and the broader faculty community to model and support best practices in innovation, technology integration, and instructional design
- Design, deliver, and manage major professional development and growth experiences for faculty in areas of technology integration and instructional design
- Support and guide senior academic leaders on strategic and operational decisions involving instructional technology hardware, software, and programs
- Serve on and/or oversee technology-related committees at the administrative, faculty and staff, and student levels
- Help develop a culture of creative innovation to meet the dynamic and evolving needs of an excellent 21st century school
- Maintain an active presence in the local, regional, and national educational technology communities
- Establish and maintain local, regional, and national partnerships to support the strategic goals of the educational technology program at Alexander Dawson
- Hire and supervise all technology staff
- Maintain ultimate responsibility for the performance and design of the entire IT infrastructure, including: network, servers, storage, end-user hardware, and security
- Oversee and evaluate the deployment of all IT hardware, software, and systems vis-à-vis: cost-effectiveness; customer satisfaction; compliance; asset management; migration, rollout, and transition; efficiency; and performance
- Manage information security risk by conducting system and technology security assessments to identity vulnerabilities and recommend controls to counter threats. Ensure that all members of the community receive sufficient training and support
- Support and guide senior leadership and various division directors on strategic and operational decisions involving technology infrastructure and enterprise data systems
- Manage and develop the operational and capital technology budgets, and anticipate future technology needs to meet the strategic goals of the school
- Establish and evaluate technology policies, procedures, and processes in areas such as: end-user support, data management, network security, compliance, content filtering, hardware deployment, capital investment, and AV services
- Maintain and evaluate all third-party vendor relationships
- Other duties as assigned
Professional Qualifications and Personal Qualities
Alexander Dawson is looking for candidates who can demonstrate:
- A combination of (a) experience managing instructional technology or curricular innovation, and (b) experience managing or administering major components of an organization’s infrastructure technology. A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university is a minimum requirement, though a graduate degree in management, instructional technology, information systems, or related field is highly desirable.
- Significant experience as a leader of people, including areas such as: direct supervision, project management, personnel growth, staff training, and committee leadership.
- Other areas of technology leadership, including: enterprise systems management, end-user training and support, and financial planning.
- Experience working in a technology department of an educational institution. Prior classroom teaching experience is desirable.
- A penchant for strategic thinking, as well as a commitment to tactical management.
- A keen interest in emerging educational technology solutions and broader initiatives related to pedagogical research and innovation.
- An authentic understanding of how technology integration is but one part of instructional design, and an ability to lead an entire school around this principle.
- Excellent relational skills.
- A successful history of implementing and growing large-scale professional development experiences for employees, preferably faculty.
- Strong communication skills — written, verbal, presentation, and training — that support a broad set of school employees: teachers, staff, students, and administration.
- A thoughtful but determined approach to change management and department unification — while still remaining true to organizational goals and community culture.
- A collaborative, cooperative, and patient mindset.
- Visionary leadership that is in tune with the needs of a dynamic and diverse faculty and staff.
- A desire to settle in the Las Vegas area for years to come.
- Capability to lift up to 25 pounds and access hardware in hard-to-reach spaces.