Under the general supervision of the Director of Student Accounts/Bursar the Student Account Representative is responsible for generating cash receipts for student tuition, residence hall fees, miscellaneous student fees, and all other incoming institutional funds, i.e., donations, special program income and posting to student accounts. Serves as front-line person at the Bursar’s Office and on phones to assist students/parents. Directs students/parents to the appropriate Student Affairs or other College Offices. Responsibilities include processing daily cash receipts, reconciliation of cash receipts with the Senior Account Representative, and preparation of bank deposit tickets. Performs miscellaneous duties in connection with the billing process and serves as a key individual interacting with students and parents.
Essential Functions/Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
Cash Receipts Functions:
- Process daily all payments received by the college for accounts receivable invoices i.e. student accounts including Special Programs.
- Reconcile daily cash receipts by verifying cash and checks against data entered in on-line computer system.
- Prepare daily reconciliation summary.
General Accounting Functions:
- Know college general ledger account numbers, cash, receivable and miscellaneous codes to verify appropriate data entry.
- Verify that all receipt transmittals are complete and accurate prior to posting. Return receipts as required.
- Interprets entries to student accounts and identifies balances by accessing the on-line computer system and referencing related documents.
Customer Service Duties Related to Student Accounts:
- Serves as front-line person at the Bursar’s window responding professionally and courteously to all inquiries from constituents, i.e. students, parents, lenders, faculty, administrative and support staff through personal and telephone communications.
- Counsel customers regarding student related functions of other College departments, i.e. financial aid, registrar, housing, admissions, etc., in order to address or refer issues not served directly by the Bursar area.
- Maintain Bursar e-mail account by reading and responding to emails, deleting junk mail or forwarding messages to appropriate departments when necessary.
General Office Support Related to Student Accounts:
- Assist in placing Bursar cleared or hold on student accounts.
- Assist in analyzing and issuing student refunds in accordance with federal state regulations and College confidentiality policies.
- Assist in ongoing internal audit of accounts ensuring continued accuracy.
- Research inquiries regarding disputed or questioned transactions regarding student accounts.
- Assist in issuing and mailing student account statements.
- Assist in preparation of special billings to third party payers of student accounts.
- Assist in notifying students when checks are received from outside agencies that require a student signature for processing.
- Assist in sending out receipt requests.
General Office Support:
- Sort and distribute mail.
- Perform copy work and filing.
- Responsible for having students complete the #8300 form for payments in excess of $10,000 and the collection of various other forms (i.e., health insurance waivers, refund requests, etc.
- Comply with all security measures regarding cash and other payments. Responsible for locking checks and petty cash in the safe at the close of business and securing cashiers windows and office doors.
- Assist in the preparation for registration and check in periods.
- When time allows assist with TMS payments and budget adjustments.
- Continue to support the migration of Berklee Online to Colleague.
- Other duties as assigned.