The Hockaday School is an independent, college preparatory day and boarding school for girls of strong potential and diverse backgrounds who may be expected to assume positions of responsibility and leadership in a rapidly changing world. With an enrollment of more than 1,000 students, The Hockaday School is the nation’s largest pre-kindergarten through grade 12 independent girls’ school. Ranked among the country’s finest college preparatory schools, it was founded over a century ago and continues today to build on its original Four Cornerstones: Character, Courtesy, Scholarship, and Athletics.
The Hockaday School seeking an experienced database administrator who will be responsible for the performance, integrity and security of all Hockaday databases. She/he will also be involved in the planning, creation and development of databases as needed, as well as troubleshooting any issues on behalf of the users. The database administrator will ensure that:
• data remains consistent across the databases;
• data is clearly defined;
• users access data concurrently, in a form that suits their needs;
• there is provision for data security and recovery control (all data is retrievable in an emergency).
THE ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS Some work may simply be maintenance while other tasks will involve database migration and development.
Tasks may involve some or all of the following:
• Understanding the needs of users and working collaboratively to establish consistent procedures and data standards;
• Monitoring performance and managing parameters to provide fast responses to users;
• Assessing the integrity of the existing databases;
• Leading any database migrations between platforms or versions;
• Collaboratively working with the IT team to ensure the security, safety and consistency of all databases;
• Installing new and updating existing Hockaday databases;
• Leading ad hoc teams and projects as needed;
• Writing database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions;
• Controlling access permissions and privileges;
• Developing, managing and testing backup and recovery plans;
• Ensuring that storage and archiving procedures are functioning correctly;
• Capacity planning;
• Working closely with all departments and divisions;
• Communicating regularly with the Director of Technology & Information Resources, the Technology Staff, and contract workers to ensure database integrity and security;
• Advising the Technology Director in regards to installing new applications and customizing existing applications as needed.
• Other duties as assigned by the Director of Technology
• Assisting the CFO and Director of Finance & Human Resources with special projects, as required