We are seeking a dynamic, skilled and creative individual who will join the Learning Support Team to design and implement a program that will support students with different learning profiles.. The Lower School Learning Specialist will provide intervention and remediation; support teachers in their efforts to advance students with different learning needs within the classroom; and work with parents, students, and outside professionals in order to better support the needs of students. We are looking for an energetic, optimistic, and experienced person who has a broad repertoire of teaching strategies to support students grades 3-5 who may need accommodations in approach, materials, or assessment methods.
This is a full-time, exempt, and benefit eligible position. It is a ten-month faculty year position and reports to the Assistant Head of School and Lower School Division Head.
- Collaborating with classroom teachers to develop and guide appropriate educational plans for children, which will include regularly working with individual children and small groups
- Assisting teachers in classrooms to help adjust, modify, and enrich curricular approaches and improve pedagogy
- Using formative and summative assessments to document student progress and achievement; assessing and analyzing student strengths and needs; designing and implementing appropriate instruction to facilitate learning and personal growth
- Working in conjunction with Heads Team to recommend tutors, educational evaluators, etc.
- Working closely with the Learning Specialist team to design a cohesive learning support program pre-kindergarten to eighth grade
- Conducting and interpreting informal and formal assessments to create individualized learning plans
- Seeking out new and innovative curricula, texts, and technological applications to enhance student learning
- Participating in teacher-parent conferences and planning follow up meetings and assessments
- Managing the ERB standardized testing program for grades 3-5
- Keeping careful anecdotal and assessment records and using them to contribute to the writing of accurate, comprehensive reports
- Supporting parent learning through parent workshops and meetings
- Working with the admissions team to ascertain best fit candidates for the school
- Participating fully in the fulfilling, demanding, and rich life of the school
- Evidence of expertise in compensatory learning strategies.
- Experience working individually with children who have many learning profiles both within a functioning classroom and individually in tutorial situations.
- Strong skills sets in: Literacy, Mathematics, and administering and interpreting assessments.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to develop strong relationships.
- Explicit strategies to meet the social and emotional needs of children.
- Experience and interest in working with the latest technologies to support learning.
- Deep appreciation for and commitment to elementary and middle school students.
- Excellent communication skills, oral and written.
- Outstanding organizational skills.
- Sense of humor, flexibility, energy, patience, creativity.
- A flair for collaboration and team building.
- Commitment to the BDS values of Respect, Honesty, Responsibility, Joy, Caring and Excellence.