The Governor's Academy is the oldest continuously operating non-sectarian boarding school in the nation. Located in Byfield, Massachusetts, the Academy serves 400 students on a 450 acre campus with 48 buildings, an operating budget of roughly $20M, and an endowment of $70M. The Academy prepares students for successful futures while celebrating the traditions of a long history. Students flourish in a diverse community distinguished by enduring relationships with teachers and defined by a commitment to learning and a thoughtful balance of academics, athletics, arts and service to others.
Members of the Academy remain dedicated to the principles that have made the Academy so strong for so many years, while at the same time preparing thoughtfully for the future. Having launched a new strategic plan in 2015 under the leadership of Peter Quimby, now in his fifth year as Headmaster, there is excitement on campus for the bright future of the Academy.
The Director of Athletics and Afternoon Programs is a member of the Head of School’s Executive Team and establishes the vision and direction for the school’s afternoon and athletic programs. The Director effectively manages these programs within the context of a selective boarding school committed to teaching valuable life lessons and skills through the afternoon program. The Governor’s Academy is a member of the Independent School League and, consistent with league values and principles, is committed to the teacher-coach model. At Governor’s all students participate in the Afternoon Program each season, and in addition to athletics the afternoon program includes: drama, dance, community service, and special activity projects.
With the support of the Associate Director of Athletics and Administrative Assistant, the Director will:
- Facilitate, coordinate, and manage the Afternoon Program to ensure that the programs are consistent with the mission of the Academy, promoting excellence and the highest levels of sportsmanship, teamwork, and performance.
- Create, manage, and administer the structure, policy, and offerings of the Afternoon Program as well as oversee the Equipment Manager, Administrative Assistant, Athletic Trainers, and Associate Director of Athletics providing them with timely and effective performance reviews while supporting their professional development.
- Manage the Afternoon Program staff and provide professional feedback and assistance in support of their efforts; serve as a mentor to help them succeed as they balance their time between the classroom, residential program, and coaching.
- Support faculty in the evaluation and enrollment of student-athletes as applicants to Governor’s.
- Administer all athletic operations, including ensuring proper adult supervision for all programs and hiring outside coaches when necessary.
- Coordinate with the Dean of Faculty to assign faculty afternoon program responsibilities and participate in the faculty recruitment process to attract qualified and talented coaches and program directors.
- Promote diversity, inclusion and gender equity among student athletes and coaches and work in collaboration with the Dean of Multicultural Education in furthering the development of social and cultural competencies of the coaching community.
- Coordinate the proper and timely maintenance of all athletic facilities with the grounds crew to ensure safe and efficient facilities for our athletes. Coordinate the rental of athletic facilities and work with the Chief Financial Officer on the maintenance, upkeep, and capital needs of all athletic-related facilities as well as prepare written reports for each trustee meeting (3-4 per year).
- Promote the health and wellness of our student-athletes by working with the Director of Health and Wellness and athletic trainers to provide knowledge and procedures for our student athletes.
- Represent the Academy at ISL and NEPSAC meetings and as such oversee and manage all aspects of the interscholastic athletic program for students.
- Collaborate with other departments to ensure that the Afternoon Program goals are closely coordinated with other institutional priorities.
- Coordinate with Communications in the preparation of timely and accurate sports and program information.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Afternoon Program Committee (Chair)
- Athletic Council (Chair)
- Student Concerns
- Crisis Management
- Administrator on Duty Responsibilities