Director, Campus Recreation
Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
The Office of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is accepting applications and nominations for the position of Director of Campus Recreation, a self-supporting auxiliary unit. Campus Recreation offers active learning and self-discovery opportunities to students through state-of-the-art facilities, diverse programs and services, and a welcoming environment.
The University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign is one of the original 37 public land-grant institutions created by the Morrill Act in 1862. It is located in east-central Illinois, about 140 miles south of Chicago, 125 miles west of Indianapolis, and 180 miles northeast of St. Louis. The flagship campus of the University of Illinois system has nearly 33,000 undergraduate students and just over 11,000 graduate students, hailing from all 50 states and 111 countries.
Campus Recreation is within the purview of the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, and offers programs in Aquatics, Climbing and Adventure Recreation, Club Sports, Group Fitness, Healthy Cooking, Ice Skating, Intramural Activities, Open Recreation, Personal Training, and Student Wellness. Programs are designed to promote the health, wellness, and recreational needs of students as well as members of the surrounding communities.
The Director of Campus Recreation is responsible for the overall vision, strategic planning, assessment, administration and operation of the division, and reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs/Director of Auxiliary Services. Within the division, the Director oversees three Associate Directors and numerous Assistant Directors in charge of marketing, promotions, event and facility scheduling, member services, risk management, facility operations and management, financial operations, human resources, information technology, and maintenance of indoor and outdoor facilities.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Specific duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Responsible for the overall management, coordination and administration of the Division of Campus Recreation and its facilities (550,000 sq. ft. of indoor space and over 53 acres of outdoor play fields).
- Direct all operations, which include the recruitment, supervision, development and oversight of all full-time, part-time and student staff.
- Direct the strategic planning process for Campus Recreation: establish the vision and direction for the organization, make decisions about administrative and operational matters, lead the development and implementation of short-term and long-term plans consistent with a strategic plan to ensure mission effectiveness.
- Plan, manage and evaluate the annual operating budget ($19 million) which includes budget planning, revenue generation, donor recruitment, donor relations, cash handling, and establishing pricing and fees for services.
- Responsible for the establishment and review of operational and personnel policies/procedures consistent with University policies and regulations, state and federal laws.
- Provides departmental leadership in establishing a culture of excellence that minimizes risk and enhances quality programs and safety.
- Responsible and accountable for establishing a culture of inclusion throughout the organization.
- Develop and maintain collaborative partnerships with other campus colleagues/departments, alumni, and community organizations.
- Serve on Student Affairs, campus and community committees as required. Serve as an ex-officio member to the Campus Recreation Advisory Committee.
- Assume appropriate additional duties and responsibilities to further the mission of the division as may be assigned.