Job Description Summary:
The George Washington University Columbian College of Arts and Sciences is the oldest and largest of the university's academic units, providing the foundation for GW's commitment to the liberal arts and a broad education for all students. The college encompasses 42 academic departments and programs for undergraduate, graduate and professional studies, and 28 research centers and institutes. An internationally recognized faculty and active partnerships with prestigious research institutions place Columbian College at the forefront in advancing policy, enhancing culture and transforming lives through research and discovery.
The Gedan lab at The George Washington University investigates the response of coastal and marine species and ecosystems to global changes in climate, sea level, nutrient availability, and invasive species. It focuses on conservation-priority, shallow, marine ecosystems, especially tidal marsh. At the interface of land and sea, tidal marshes are a high value and accessible ecosystem subject to both terrestrial and marine influences and affected by rapid coastal land use change. Examine the role of foundation species, plant-soil feed backs, and strong environmental gradients in the ecological response of tidal marshes to global and local human impacts. Our team primarily relies upon an experimental ecological approach in the greenhouse and the field.
- Post Doctoral Scientist will contribute to existing projects and develop new research related to sea level rise and coastal wetland ecology.
- Research includes field work in the Chesapeake Bay along the eastern shore at existing sites and may extend to other localities and regions.
- Post Doctoral Scientist will make use of laboratory resources and equipment (muffle furnace, ball mill grinder, drying ovens, balances and water quality monitoring probes.
- Post Doctoral Scientist will develop and submit grant proposals to fund new research and prepare findings for publication and presentation at conferences.
- Post Doctoral Scientist will help PI supervise 3-4 graduate and undergraduate students.
Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
- Research experience in wetlands or coastal marine ecosystems
- Field research experience
- Strong publication record
Require’s a PhD in the field or in a related area.
Special Instructions to Applicants::
Dr. Gedan, is requesting references only from those applicants that make the final round of of interviews. Those references will be emailed to her directly by those supplying the references, not the applicants themselves. Applicants should provide a list of reference contact information so Dr. Gedan can email them as needed.