General DescriptionProvides technical leadership, project management, and task execution for administration, programming, maintenance, performance, implementation, security and support of various departmental and enterprise wide multiple platforms, including the installation and testing of new software, operating systems, related utilities/services, and hardware products as well as the integration of new products and /or software release upgrades into the current environment. Conducts systems performance evaluations, monitoring, patch management and security evaluations. Analyzes user needs in various computer environments (including but not limited to mainframe, Windows, and mid-range) and makes recommendations for products and services that meet those needs. Ensures that all systems environments are maintained in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
Provide technical leadership based on extensive technical knowledge, skills and experience; influence clients towards innovative/integrated solutions. Responsible for full life-cycle of large sized complex projects which can span an entire department, division, or enterprise-wide level. For enterprise-wide level, typical projects impact the broader customer base of Johns Hopkins and its most mission critical systems. Projects often require interaction with various departments and teams both within and outside the department. Complex and large projects typically are applications/systems with 501-3000 concurrent users requiring uptime commensurate with Clinical, Business critical, Education critical or Enterprise systems. Impacts of outages will cause major disruption such as implementation of downtime procedures, major disruption of business operations, and/or cascades to more than 7 systems/applications. Disruptions are without obvious or simple workarounds. Strong technical skills; strong ability to understand complex business processes. Build and maintain client relationships through positive interactions. Provide assistance to lower level positions.
SYSTEMS ANALYSIS/DESIGN (ENVIRONMENT/PLATFORM)
- Design highly complex business, clinical, education, or infrastructure solutions by meeting with customers to observe and understand current processes and the issues related to those processes.
- Provide written documentation and diagrams of findings to share with the client and other IT colleagues. Assist lower levels to effectively use the system's technical software.
- Design highly complex solutions that conform to institutional policies, standards, and guidelines, and infrastructure environment and to vendor and industry best practices to deliver a quality product.
- Select infrastructure applications that reside between end user applications and hardware operating systems by working with vendors, customers, and other sources (i.e., open source or Internet2 initiatives) to provide configurable tools to the customers.
- Develop new methods to improve service processes, performance, and functionality by examining system management tools and processes. Review new methods suggested by lower levels and approve the work.
- Research, recommend, and implement new technologies based on the value to the institution.
- Works with vendor processes and products to improve the quality and fit for the institution.
- Typically establishes product mastery, and demonstrates initiative for improvements.
- Assign and lead technical systems analysis and design tasks for assigned environments and platforms.
INSTALL AND CONFIGURE
- Install and configure highly complex server hardware and operating systems by following technical documentation to provide a working product.
- Evaluate, implement, and manage appropriate highly complex software and hardware solutions by using best practices for the environment to ensure system integrity. Install and configure infrastructure applications by following product installation and configuration directions and industry best practices to deliver a solution to the customers.
- Ensure an effective schedule is developed of system backups and archive operations by providing leadership, oversight, and direction to technical team in best practices for the environment to ensure data/media recoverability.
- Lead and provide direction to technical team for all of above tasks by reviewing work and adherence to institutional standards and guidelines in order to deliver projects on time and within budget to the customers
MAINTAIN AND TROUBLESHOOT
- Provide highly complex server level administration (manage HW/SW, maintenance, upgrades and patches, account maintenance, backups and recoveries and assist users) by following documented procedures to ensure a stable environment.
- Monitor and tune the system by following documentation and procedures to achieve optimum performance levels.
- Develop highly complex scripts and solutions by using departmental standards to automate systems management.
- Perform highly complex system software upgrades including planning and scheduling, testing, and coordination by following documentation and departmental standards to provide a stable product for the environment.
- Audit and maintain user access and authorization by following access and authorization documentation to provide for system security.
- Generate and maintain highly complex periodic and ongoing system specific reports by using appropriate tools to assess system performance, integrity and capacity in order to deliver a stable environment to the users.
- Follow and maintain IT security awareness and best practices by understanding security principles as they pertain to environments supported in order to deliver secure solutions to customers.
- Utilize system management and monitoring tools and incident tracking systems by following documentation and standards to detect incidents, take corrective actions, and determine root cause.
- Monitor changes and resolve any incidents by responding to problems as they occur, by reviewing all processing and output of the newly implemented solution, and by proactively ensuring the solution works successfully in order to satisfy the customer requirements and to provide a smooth transition to the new solution.
- Lead and provide direction to technical team for all of the above tasks by reviewing work and adherence to institutional standards and guidelines in order to deliver high quality maintenance and troubleshooting to the customers.
PROJECT COLLABORATION AND LIFECYCLE PARTICIPATION
- Implement changes by adhering to the change management policies and procedures for any given project to communicate to all parties the nature, significance, and risk factors of the solution.
- Lead effort to develop RFP's by engaging project team members in the process in order to develop well defined requirements to potential vendors for proposed solutions.
- Evaluate vendor proposals by reviewing requirements for the product to select the most appropriate vendor.
- Lead vendors, consultants, and inside Enterprise groups in developing applications by meeting with the team on a regular basis to deliver quality products to customers.
- Lead scheduled project team meetings by attending all meeting to provide input to the project team.
- Author and maintain documentation by writing audience-appropriate materials to serve as technical and/or end user reference.
- Lead technical team in test planning, test scenario construction, and test sessions appropriate to the changes being implemented by following testing guidelines to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handled in a meaningful way.
- Review test results and corrections to all changes by following institutional and departmental testing standards to ensure all delivered solutions work as expected and errors are handled in a meaningful way.
- Participate in Institutional and Departmental committees and initiatives.
- Lead and provide direction to technical team for all of the above tasks by reviewing work and adherence to institutional standards and guidelines to ensure collaboration and communication with team members and customers.