A cover letter and three references are required for consideration for this position and should be attached as the first page of your resume. The cover letter should address your specific interest in the position and outline skills and experiences that directly relate to this position. Please apply with a single document that includes a cover letter, resume, and references.
The University of Michigan-Dearborn (UM-Dearborn) is one of the three campuses of the University of Michigan system. UM-Dearborn is a comprehensive university offering high-quality undergraduate, graduate, professional, and continuing education to residents of southeastern Michigan, and currently enrolls just under 9,000 students. UM-Dearborn is located 10 miles west of downtown Detroit and 35 miles east of Ann Arbor. The campus is strategically located on 200 suburban acres of the original Henry Ford Estate in the Greater Detroit Metropolitan Region.
The University of Michigan-Dearborn has an exciting job opportunity for a User Services Supervisor in the Mardigian Library. This full-time position reports directly to the Head of the User Services Department. The chosen candidate will be responsible to:
· Coordinate and process course reserves
· Perform weekly financial reconciliation and monthly deposits
· Generate and process item overdues and associated bills
· Provide guidance and supervision to library student employees in User Services
· Provide excellent customer service to all faculty, students, staff, and guests
· Report to the library at 7:30 am to prepare for 8 am opening, Monday-Friday
· Serve as support for resource sharing item processing (MeLCat, UM campus library-to-library lending, ILL)
· Assist with special projects and other duties as assigned
· Assist patrons in locating library materials
· Respond to inquiries about library policies, procedures and services
· Receive and record fines and lost book payments
· Balance cash register
· Book study rooms for students using reservation software
· Clear blocked patron records
· Operate automated circulation system (Innovative Interfaces Sierra)
· Compile course reserve and related statistics
· Run reports & notices using Sierra library automation software; track data in Excel
· Bachelor’s degree required. Previous library working experience preferred.
· Proficient with MS Office (Word, Excel, Access), and comfort using computers and technology required. Experience with library automation preferred (Sierra/Millennium experience a plus)
· Ability to work independently with minimal supervision and as part of a team required
· Must be able to consistently work an early morning shift, and be ready to work a flexible schedule (including nights and weekends) when necessary
· Ability to communicate effectively with faculty, staff, students and the public
· Good interpersonal skills, strong customer service skills and good decision making skills required
· Experience working in a very diverse environment strongly desired
· Experience balancing cash register drawers or strong cash handling experience preferred
· Knowledge of copyright in an academic setting preferred
Monday through Friday; 7:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Occasional nights and weekends as needed.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.