NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Outpatient Lab Supervisor.
In this role, the successful candidate provides technical information, coordination and direction to Phlebotomy staff, who collect blood and urine specimens, and Intake staff, who register patients and enter orders for lab tests into Epic, in the Outpatient laboratory (OPL). These functions are providing the pre-analytical phase of testing for use in the diagnosis and treatment of disease. Participates in and facilitates the management of the operational, personnel and financial activities of the department. These functions are performed in accordance with all applicable laws and regulations and NYULMC's philosophy, policies, procedures and standards.
- Financial Management-Manages assigned operational and capital budgets according to hospital guidelines. Works collectively with Laboratory manager to ensure that financial targets are achieved. Reviews Laboratory section's monthly reports and completes required documentation/justification as requested. Manages and monitors testing menu to ensure accurate test order entry and proper specimen collection.
- Laboratory operations Management- Assigns employees to perform, document and report routine patient registrations and phlebotomy collections. Reviews reports to ensure timely and accurate completion of data entry and specimen collection and labeling.
- Quality Assurance/Regulatory/Safety- Ensures all competency assessments, proficiency tests and other quality control activities are completed timely and according to manufacture/regulatory guidelines for all assigned employees. Reviews and evaluates daily reports of specimen quality, phlebotomists / Intake documentation of sanitation and end of shift checklist, Creates, reviews and revises SOP's to meet all required guidelines. When inspected, works directly with the regulatory agency to ensure all questions are answered. Leads inspector through the inspection process and responds to all regulatory requests after the inspection has been completed. Ensures laboratory meets and exceeds all safety requirements, including but not limited to maintaining temperature charts, eyewash monitoring, laboratory cleanliness and transportation of hazardous waste to the departments pick up area. Ensures that staff within the assigned lab section complies with all designated safety policies and procedures in the work area, including the use of applicable protective equipment when necessary to prevent exposure to potentially infectious agents.
- Customer Service- Complies with department customer service standards and holds assigned staff accountable to these standards (i.e. answering phone within 3 rings, identifying self to caller or customer in person, promptly attending to customer needs) Ensures that turnaround time standards are met within the assigned laboratory sections Always maintains a positive image when interacting with others outside of the laboratory. Proactively provide assistance to the outside department when needed.
- Laboratory technical Management- Serves as technical resource and guides troubleshooting of computer, printer and interface problems. Provides staff training and education on the patient care process of the assigned section. Ensures all regulatory requirements are fulfilled when test menus change (i.e. new tests being added or tests being removed). Leads the evaluation of new procedures and equipment as requested for the assigned laboratory section. Works with assigned staff to repair laboratory equipment as needed. Leads the staff through the process of continual patient registration and phlebotomy despite equipment problems.
- Human resources Management- Assumes personnel management of staff members in assigned laboratory section. The items include, but not limited to, interviewing, hiring, orienting, training, scheduling, coaching, counseling, evaluating, promoting and terminating employees. Addresses personnel issues on a timely and equitable basis. Works collaboratively with Human Resources to ensure that all paperwork is completed timely.
- Observes Joint Commission (JC) standards, Patient Safety Initiatives, Patient Rights and HIPAA Privacy Standards. Follows care, documentation and cleanliness standards in the performance of job duties; Completes in-services and education on a timely basis; Completes continuing education requirements for recertification as required by certification organizations; Is focused on patient safety during performance of duties and improves or make corrections whenever safety issues arise; notifies department director, as required; Interacts with other team members both on the unit and in other units in an appropriate and pro-active way to benefit the patient; Observes proper elevator etiquette and courtesy; smiles and speaks to patients and visitors, does not discuss patient care and keeps voice low, gives right-of-way to patients and visitors; Keeps all patient information strictly confidential; Never discuss patient information and hospital business in public areas; and Protects patient privacy in public areas. Adheres to all JC and NYULMC Patient Rights standards.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities that are appropriate to the position and area.
To qualify you must be a high school graduate; Phlebotomy training and certification is required. Three to five years of laboratory experience required, which includes one year of some type of supervisory/management role. Experience in an acute care hospital or health care facility is preferred. Excellent knowledge and skills in laboratory operations. Able to set priorities and work under stress. Must be able to remain calm and tactful when resolving problems involving all levels of staff, patients, visitors, vendors etc. Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal skills. Flexible and adaptable to changing conditions.
Associates degree in Medical Laboratory technology Preferred. Experience in an acute care hospital or health care facility is preferred.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.