Title: Academic Coordinator PTC - New York, NY
Office: PTC New York
Location: PTC New York
Reporting directly to the Program Manager, the Academic Coordinator PTC - New York, NY provides academic and administrative support to a Learning Community of 40 students and ~10 staff. The Academic Coordinator PTC - New York, NY will receive ongoing coaching and supervision from the Program Manager and the Site Director and as a member of the program team to implement a high-expectation, high-support program model connecting top corporations with college trained, high-potential low-income young adults.
To be successful in this role, you’ll bring a passion for education and an ability to build relationships with college instructors to carefully monitor, thoroughly document, and clearly report on Year Up students’ academic performance, challenges, and successes faced in and outside of classrooms. You’re detail-oriented, enjoy playing a collaborative, supportive role as a member of a team, and feel comfortable serving as an advisor and coach to our young adults.
The Academic Coordinator will interact with students, participating in building a positive educational environment.
*This is a one-year temporary, part-time position beginning in January 2017, working approximately 20 hours per week. There is a possibility of conversion to permanent, pending business needs and performance.
* The Academic Coordinator’s main accountability is supporting the Program Manager to promote students’ academic success as measured by student retention, grades, college course completion, and credit accumulation. Other responsibilities include:
* Carefully track and report on Year Up students’ academic performance and implement monitoring and support protocols for an ongoing federally-funded research project
* Work collaboratively with the Year Up PTC team and liaise with college instructors to accomplish all tasks as needed
* Perform routine administrative duties related to academics to support the Program Manager, including maintaining textbook inventory
* Track and enforce student contracts in a consistent manner
* Bolster Year Up’s high support, high expectation, high service model in and outside of college classrooms
* Support delivery of the site’s curriculum and its integration into the college partner's coursework
* Understand operational benchmarks, timelines, and resources needed to achieve quality results
* Cultivate a trusting and nurturing environment for students, staff, college faculty/administration and other key stakeholders
* Interact with students as a coach, group facilitator, or advocate by participating in creating and sustaining a positive educational environment, with trust among students, faculty, and staff
* Bachelor’s degree preferred; progress toward Master’s degree ideal; specialization in education or social sciences preferred
* Ability to engage with senior-level professors and faculty within academia on a peer-to-peer basis
* Some work experience preferred, strong interest in education required
* Strong team orientation – desire to collaborate as a member of the Academic team
* Moderate degree of technical literacy and proficiency with various Learning Management Systems (e.g., Schoology) a plus
* An interest in implementing progressive academic support methodologies in a hands-on, interactive learning environment
* Excellent communication skills, mature interpersonal style, ability to interact with a diverse range of people, and strong teamwork skills
* Strong organizational and time management skills and the ability to work under pressure
* A willingness to take initiative and the ability to be flexible while handling increased responsibilities
* A passion for working with urban young adults, an unshakable belief in their potential and a strong commitment to the mission of Year Up
* Understanding of the Opportunity Divide and its drivers
* Commitment to diversity and inclusion
* Salary: Competitive and commensurate with education and experience
Please submit a thoughtful cover letter and resume through our website.
Note that applications without a cover letter will not be considered. We respectfully request no phone calls.