WINGS Metro Initiative, LLC (WMI) is the first new domestic violence shelter to be opened in the city of Chicago in over 10 years. We opened the shelter on February 14, 2016.
We are seeking a day shift House Advocate, who can be flexible, if needed to work other shifts.
Position reports to the Supervisor of House Advocates. The basic responsibles include answering phones and assisting callers, greeting guests (our clients), staff, volunteers, and service providers who come to the door. When necessary, and if you can, translate from English to Spanish or Spanish to English to ensure staff, residents and volunteers can understand one another. Advocate is responsible for maintaining the smooth operation of the Shelter.
GENERAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Provide crisis intervention, counseling, education, safety planning, and referrals to callers on the crisis line.
- Approve intake and eligibility evaluations with potential guests.
- Conduct and approve intake and eligibility evaluations to determine guests needs and appropriateness for services.
- Interact with guest in the community areas of the house and role model social skills, conflict resolution, parenting and other skills of daily living (this may include time management, self care, conflict and stress management, parenting, nutrition, meal planning, parenting, car maintenance, budgeting).
- Supervise and coordinate activities related to house policies and chores.
- Work with the Family Advocate’s and partner organizations to provide a continuum of services for the guests of WMI.
- Identify guest needs and communicate these needs to the responsible staff member in order to secure donations and services.
- Ensure documentation in client records in an accurate and timely way and in accordance with agency policies and funding requirements.
- Responsible for accurate and timely computer data entry and management for guest information and services.
- Updates daily roster and shift reports.
- Assist in processing and storing donations as requested.
- Attend and participate in supervision, weekly group meetings, and All Staff Meetings.
- Conduct, attend, and participate in appropriate training and education.
- Immediately report child abuse to Department of Children and Family Services as mandated by law and in accordance with agency procedures.
- Ensure building is secure according to agency policy.
- Perform additional responsibilities as assigned.