The Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine (SMFM), a DC-based, fast-growing medical specialty association in the women’s health space dedicated to advocacy, education, and research for healthcare providers who treat high-risk pregnant women and their unborn babies, is seeking an energetic, committed, and experienced Finance Manager to set up and lead SMFM’s finance department.
SMFM offers great benefits, including access to several no- or low-cost health insurance plans, three weeks of annual leave plus Federal holidays, 8 percent salary contribution to a 401(k) plan, commuter allowance, flexible work hours, telecommuting once/week, a great team and a collegial working environment. We are an equal opportunity employer.
If you have a passion for working with numbers, are detail-oriented, can handle multiple projects with competing priorities at a time, have a penchant for women’s health issues, and thrive in a fast-paced environment, then we want to hear from you! Interested candidates should send a cover letter explaining their interest in the position and their qualifications, together with their resume and references to email@example.com with subject line “Finance Manager.” Deadline to apply is March 1, 2017.
About the Job
The Finance Manager performs key business operations and office management functions of the association, including financial management, accounting and bookkeeping (including managing the annual budgeting and audit processes), and acts as the main point of contact for payroll, pension and human resources to SMFM’s professional employment organization (PEO). The incumbent ensures adherence to strong internal controls, and financial processes and procedures, and also acts as the staff liaison to the SMFM Audit and Finance Committees. The Finance Manager reports to the CEO.
Financial Management, Accounting and Bookkeeping:
- Performs all accounting functions for SMFM and supported organizations, including performing monthly reconciliation of checking accounts, and recording monthly investment activity, ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements.
- Manages accounts receivable and accounts payable for SMFM and supported organizations.
- Manages the preparation of the annual organization, division, and product budgets.
- Maintains accurate and appropriate general ledger chart of accounts.
- Prepares and presents monthly, quarterly and year-end financial statements for SMFM and supported organizations; identifies, explains and corrects variances.
- Prepares all cash disbursements for SMFM and supported organizations.
- Manages organizational cash flow forecasting.
- Analyzes financial systems and procedures for maximum effectiveness; and develops, manages, and enforces adherence to organization’s accounting policies, practices, procedures, expense report system and corporate credit accounts.
- Performs financial reporting to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors.
- Performs ad-hoc financial analysis for members of the Senior Executive Team.
- Manages contract and grant funding, including financial reporting and budget preparation.
- Provides primary support to the auditors to conduct the annual audits for SMFM and supported organizations.
- Consults with outside specialists who prepare tax and other required governmental forms, including IRS Form 990 and 990T.
- Assists in the preparation of meeting budgets and monitoring expenses for meetings, etc. to ensure accurate accounting records.
- Bills meeting participants and sponsors as required.
- Conducts wire transfers at the request of the CEO.
- Reviews contracts and provides financial impact assessment; maintains all contract files.
- Monitors and manages merchant service accounts.
- Prepares annual 1099 forms.
- Works with staff on potential partnerships and revenue forecasts as needed.
Human Resources and Payroll:
- Submits payroll in a timely and accurate manner to the payroll processing service; reconciles payroll with accounting records.
- Acts as the point-of-contact for payroll and fringe benefits issues, and advises and directs staff to the right source of information within SMFM’s PEO; follows up and advocates on behalf of SMFM employees before the PEO.
- Acts proactively to inform employees of benefits by securing education and other resources available through SMFM’s PEO.
- Reconciles leave status for staff with payroll and leave requests.
- Maintains human resource records, keeping past and current records.
- Coordinates relationships with office landlord.
- Manages the full range of office, facilities and technical infrastructure support (office space, furniture, phones, copiers, computer equipment, etc.).
- Maintains corporate and other insurance policies and oversees financial risk management.
- Liaises with the Audits and Finance Committees.
- Ensures Committee calls are scheduled and members have access to the necessary information and documentation prior to calls; assists Chairs in note taking and dissemination.
- May be called upon to assist other staff during periods of peak workload and with special projects.