| Director, Network Engineering & Telecommunication Services, Chicago Campus |
Academic Computing and Communications Center Director
University of Illinois at Chicago
The Academic Computing and Communications Center is an agile organization, with a collaborative and team centered environment that provides IT leadership, academic technology infrastructure and services at University of Illinois at Chicago. We excel at supporting 40,000 staff, faculty and students across a diverse and comprehensive university in the heart of Chicago. Our services include campus wide networking, teaching and learning, identity and access management, communications, research computing, IT security, application development, web services, compliance and more.
The University of Illinois, ACCC seeks a Director - Network Engineering & Telecommunication Services. Working closely with the Executive Director, this position has the overall responsibility for the vision development, administration and support of all campus networking, internet connectivity and physical operations. This is a key position in the senior leadership of ACCC, where the individual must have strong cross-functional leadership and personal skills, as well as substantial technical experience and expertise in network architecture, planning, engineering and operations. This position is expected to participate in committees, industry groups, and consortia groups. In consultation with key stakeholders, the individual must be able to create, plan, implement, and maintain network strategic plans. The individual must have the ability to clearly communicate with stakeholders, through oral and written communications, as well as producing visual representations of campus networking infrastructure. This individual must be committed to the highest levels of customer service, as well as following industry standards for project management and service delivery (i.e. ITIL). Strong management and interpersonal skills are a must.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide strategic leadership, direction, and guidance to the Network Services teams.
- Operational responsibility for fiber/copper plant management, logical and physical design of the campus network, including routers, switches, firewalls, VLANs, IP space, Internet connectivity, research networks, and wireless networks.
- Partner with University stakeholders to map the needs of the business (or business needs) identified by customers to detailed technical requirements for network infrastructure and services.
- Analyze complex network environments and identify risks and mitigation strategies across the University.
- Develop and implement policies, procedures, documentation, technical KPIs and SLAs for network & telecommunications services portfolio.
- With campus and leadership input, develop and maintain strategic plans related to areas of areas of responsibility. Develop implementation plans for strategic initiatives, including budgets. Provide regular update reports and presentations on status of plan implementation.
- Develop a budget for lifecycle management and continuous network and infrastructure upgrades.
- Review and analyze networking and physical operations, including capacity planning, fault tolerance, performance, new and advanced technology, monitoring, and service levels; develop recommendations to improve performance and capacity.
- Review and initiate programs that commit ACCC networking resources. Recommend and establish policies relating to the consumption of networking resources, coordinating with other unit teams.
- Provide detailed technical counsel and expertise, and serve as a resource regarding all aspects of networking to senior management and other groups within the unit.
- Provide expertise on campus networking to departments, campus task forces, and other committees.
- Participate & serve in networking consortia such as CIC, Internet2/Starlight and MREN, as well as present in industry associations meetings and conferences.
- Ensure the provision of comprehensive, integrated, reliable, high-quality services for UIC in areas such as backbone and local area networking, network facilities and infrastructure, Internet access, high-performance networking, network security, remote access to campus IT services, and telecommunications.
- Ensures legal and regulatory compliance of all communications systems used at UIC.
- Produce detailed reports on network connections, network capabilities, network infrastructure, annual projects, including visual aids to identify areas of concern.
- Provide leadership in identifying new technologies and services, including impact and costs as they relate to networking and telecommunication services.
- Provide operational leadership and project management oversight for personnel, work, and projects that fall within the telecommunications, network, and data center areas.
- Develop and maintains operation documents with respect to performance, procedures, campus network standards, schedules, traffic data, billing, SLA, and budget.
- Accelerate the professional and technical development of coworkers through coaching and training ensuring focus on achieving high customer satisfaction.
- Plan, assign and review work of staff to ensure that group objectives are met.
- Hire, train, develop and manage staff to ensure that a qualified staff exists to meet group objectives.
Perform other related duties and participates in special projects as assigned.