Provides leadership to enhance strategic growth and promote ongoing operational success for the clinical departments assigned. Within a complex healthcare environment, serves as the lead to provide support and collaboration to the Department Chair(s), Division Chiefs, and physicians, to achieve the goals and objectives for the department. Position has primary responsibility for planning, performance management and improvement, staffing, and budgeting that impact the clinical practice plan. Ensures successful integration of new faculty and administrative support staff to continually enhance departmental programs and manage cost, improve revenue, and enhance clinical quality, patient safety, service and employee engagement.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
1. Develops department’s budget and plans to realize expected levels of revenue. Routinely reviews financial statements and is accountable for status and changes. Generates an action plan to address financial issues.
2. Monitors operation of a budget-sensitive service model, including departmental staffing requirements and productivity levels.
3. Develop, implement and monitor department’s operations plans. Analyzes reports to determine service and payer mix changes that affect revenue performance.
4. Ensures delivery of quality patient care by coordinating activities that improves patient access and flow, patient and physician satisfaction. Designs efficient patient flow patterns to maximize physician schedules.
5. Work with physicians to maximize appointment access.
6. Monitors the resolution and escalation of patient issues and coordinates with the Patient Advocate on recovery efforts.
7. Analyze and monitor financial and other performance metrics and report results to stakeholders.
8. Coordinate the recruitment, orientation process as well as the retention of clinical staff.
9. Directs the activities of administrative and professional support (non-physician) personnel to meet overall performance goals and objectives of the department. Includes directing activities and evaluating performance; making final recommendations on employment matters. Coordinates with MFA Human Resources on employment related matters.
10. Develop and maintain appropriate internal communication pathways for the staff. Advises department faculty and directs staff regarding changing administrative service or professional support requirements, operations processes, practices, or procedures.
11. Collaborates with COO and Chief Marketing and Business Development Officer on the development of strategic plans to enhance revenue opportunities for the MFA including new practice/provider recruitment and succession planning. Develops a plan for achieving the goals and objectives of the department consistent with the strategic plan of the MFA.
12. Collaborates with MFA administrators in the development and implementation of standardized guidelines for practice across the MFA in support of creating a true multi-specialty group practice; participates in various MFA committees.
13. Analyzes financial data and works with applicable others to perform due diligence on perspective practice affiliates. Makes recommendations to executive leadership.
14. Reviews contracts and acts as liaison with General Counsel and COO to resolve issues impacting the process.
15. Cultivates and maintains a positive interpersonal relationship with all physicians and staff.
16. Leads project and implementation plan and roll-out for systems and new organizational and departmental initiatives.
17. Establish, communicate, implement and monitor production and compensation standards for physicians and midlevel professional staff.
18. Provides leadership in the development of a customer service driven department, recognizing the importance of a user friendly organization; cultivates and maintains a positive interpersonal relationship with all provider and non-provider staff.
19. Participates in the development and support of a marketing/business development effort for the MFA.
20. Collects and analyzes data from internal and external sources relevant to each situation.
21. Implement planning methods and tools including project management, process improvement and systems thinking.
22. Identify, develop and maintain benchmarks for establishing practice performance standards.
23. Other duties as assigned.