ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The National Law Center on Homelessness & Poverty (NLCHP) is the only national organization dedicated to using the power of the law to prevent and end homelessness. Our attorneys fight for society’s most vulnerable members in courtrooms and the halls of legislatures. Through impact litigation, policy advocacy, and public education, the Law Center addresses the root causes of homelessness at the local, state, and national levels.
The Law Center is seeking a smart, energetic, and committed director to assume the leadership of its development activities. The Director of Development will join the management team of this innovative organization and work with a dedicated and inspiring team of professionals. Reporting to the Executive Director (who founded the Law Center in 1989), and working closely with the Deputy Director and the Board of Directors, the Director of Development will lead a comprehensive fundraising effort to maintain, increase and diversify financial resources. The Director of Development will design and drive fund development efforts to meet aggressive annual operating revenue goals from a variety of sources including annual and major gifts, special events, corporations and foundations. The goal for the Director of Development will be to increase annual revenue by 30% over the next three years to support the Law Center’s programs.
The director will build upon the organization’s current fund development plan, programs, and systems to support fundraising goals. The director will:
- Lead, manage, and implement all aspects of major and annual giving, law firm, corporate and foundation giving, and special events. This will include managing a portfolio which should grow to about 75 major donors and top foundation funders.
- Identify, cultivate, solicit and steward institutional and individual prospects and donors.
- Partner with the Executive Director to manage her role in cultivating, soliciting and stewarding donors.
- Work in connection with the Executive Director to support the Board of Directors, providing hands-on guidance, coaching, motivation and training to engage and grow Board fundraising.
- Develop and manage fundraising events, including securing sponsorships and working with and supporting the event committee.
- Lead the preparation of high-quality communication materials to support development efforts, including fundraising appeals, case statements, grant proposals and reports, sponsorship proposals, and annual reports. In collaboration with the Deputy Director, ensure all communications materials promote and reflect key organizational messages and brand.
- Supervise the Development Assistant, Development and Executive Specialist, Development AmericorpsVista, and several interns.
- Work closely with the Deputy Director and program staff on grant proposals and reports, ensuring that program and development goals are coordinated and support each other. This includes participating in annual program planning.
- Work with the Executive Director to promote a culture of philanthropy throughout the organization.
- Ensure systems are in place and implemented to support development goals and efforts, including overseeing gift processing, record keeping, and reporting processes, in collaboration and coordination with the Deputy Director and the Administrative Manager.
Send cover letter, resume, a brief writing sample and salary requirements to HR@nlchp.org with “Development Director, Last Name_First Name” in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
The Law Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. Racial, ethnic, religious, and sexual minorities, persons with disabilities, and persons who have experienced homelessness and poverty are encouraged to apply.
APPLICATIONS DEADLINE: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until filled.