University of Maryland, Baltimore is currently seeking a Maintenance Mechanic for the Department of Facilities Management. Under general supervision, the selected candidate performs semi-skilled tasks in building construction and maintenance requiring the application of general knowledge of maintenance and repair techniques, materials, tools, and equipment.
1. Conducts scheduled and unscheduled inspections of buildings and equipment. Performs required routine preventive maintenance and repair activities.
2. Performs routine and emergency repairs including correcting minor electrical malfunctions, repairing basic plumbing fixtures, pipes and fittings, repairing and replacing light fixtures, repairing doors and locks, changing filters, belts, and hoses.
3. Assists in the preparation of various building components and systems for trades units and/or contractors; disassembles and installs equipment and fixtures.
4. Repairs equipment such as power tools, vacuum cleaners, buffers, fans, washing machines and dryers. Performs minor repairs to air conditioning units and motors.
5. Assists journey level trades personnel in skilled maintenance and repair work; assists in new construction and renovation work.
6. Provides guidance and instruction to maintenance assistants. May have lead responsibility for special projects.
7. Performs minor repairs to grounds construction such as roadways, walkways, bridges; to interior and exterior walls, ceilings, floors, and other building surfaces.
8. Operates and ensures operational readiness and safety of tools, equipment, and building components. Cleans work area upon completion of project.
9. Performs unskilled work as assigned.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.