About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Works with Linux Systems Team to design, build, update, maintain, and improve the University Libraries' server-side IT infrastructure: the physical environment including server room and servers, server storage, the server virtualization environment, and server operating systems. Also functions as a database administrator and an application administrator for server-side Library applications.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field
- Knowledge and experience with Linux systems administration, computer operating systems, system security, and networking.
- Demonstrated experience with scripting languages such as Bash, Ruby, or Python.
- Demonstrated experience working with relational databases.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of training users in applications and operating system fundamentals and writing basic documentation.
- Analytical and troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to work independently and to exercise initiative in identifying and solving problems.
- Ability to be on call after hours, including on-site response, to respond to major incidents that may include physical hardware issues.
- Significant experience as a Linux systems administrator.
- Experience with digital repository and publishing platforms such as DSpace, Omeka, Open Journal Systems, Open Conference Systems, MDID, XTF, or Fedora Commons.
- Experience with other library server-side applications such as Sierra or EZproxy.
- Experience with application administration, including installation, patching, updating, working with application users, and application vendor management.
- Experience working in an academic library environment.
- Experience with database administration, particularly with PostgreSQL or MySQL.
- Experience managing a virtual server environment.
- Experience with Linux flavors like Ubuntu or similar
- Experience with availability and/or capacity management tools such as Nagios or collectD
- Experience with server configuration management tools such as Ansible.
- Experience with IT service continuity management/disaster recovery planning, and/or experience with IT security management.
- Experience with Distributed version control, preferably Git/Github
– Experience with IT service management (e.g. ITIL) and/or IT process improvement (e.g. Lean IT, using the Deming cycle).
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 02/27/2017