About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech, founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution, is currently ranked as a Top 25 Public University by US News & World Report and a Top 25 Public Research University by the National Science Foundation. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto: Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). As the Commonwealth's most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech serves a diverse population of 30,000+ students and 8000+ faculty and staff from over 100 countries, and is engaged in research around the world. Invent the Future at Virginia Tech.
Virginia Tech has built state-of-the-art high-performance computing (HPC) infrastructure to serve its academic and research community. HPC System Engineer is a newly created position at Advanced Research Computing (ARC), a unit of Information Technology. The HPC systems engineer will work in concert with computational scientists at ARC and with servers, storage and networking team members to advance HPC infrastructure, help develop web and cloud services for VT researchers, and maximize the productive use of HPC and visualization systems, both on campus as well as at federally-funded national centers and cloud-based commercial providers. The successful candidate will investigate emerging technologies in operation of research computing, storage and networking. They will help develop web-based portal, visualization tools, and implement private and hybrid cloud technologies for increased productivity and collaboration. Ability to undertake complex system integration projects, develop systems tools, and use system performance metrics in problem resolution and efficient use of production systems will be helpful. The successful candidates will have the ability to understand and translate HPC software and infrastructure requirements from the research community into developing effective solutions.
The qualified candidates will have the knowledge of high performance computing environments and scientific tools and software. The candidates will have a strong background in the Linux operating system, programming languages (C,C++,Java), and scripting languages (Bash, Python). The ideal candidate will have familiarity with or experience in virtualization techniques and cloud computing best practices including network and data security.
- Bachelor's degree and significant experience or Master’s degree in computer science, engineering, mathematics, science, social science, or related field
- Strong experience in Linux and familiarity with shell scripting
- Programming experience in multiple major languages (e.g. C/C++, Java, Python)
- Experience with version control systems
- Willingness to troubleshoot complex issues in a team environment
- Motivation to work in a fast-paced, results-oriented environment
- Excellent communication skills; ability to write clear documentation for users and developers
- Ph.D. degree or equivalent in computer science, engineering, mathematics, science or social science
- Experience with cloud computing and virtualization technologies (e.g. OpenStack) and best practices
- Experience working in a research environment
- Familiarity with high performance and parallel computing, storage, and networking software and technologies
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 02/14/2017