Brentwood School inspires every student to:
Think critically and creatively.
Shape a future with meaning.
Director of College Counseling
Brentwood School, a vibrant and diverse K-12 independent school, is seeking resumes from qualified candidates interested in a full time Director of College Counseling. This position reports directly to the Upper School Director. The Director of College Counseling is a member of the Upper School Administrative Team and the Brentwood School (K-12) Leadership Team. The ideal candidate will be team-oriented with an interest in working with high school students, their families, college representatives, faculty and administrators. This is a 12 month position with a workload that can vary greatly during the course of the year.
The principal responsibilities of the Director of College Counseling include:
- Leading and effectively managing the college counseling department including two Associate Directors and one full time support staff member
- Advising students and families as they move through the college research, application, and selection process
- Writing letters of recommendation
- Reviewing, adjusting, and improving the college counseling program each year.
- Executing on-campus programs and workshops for parents, students and college admissions representatives
- Advising on course selection, registration, and consequences in the college selection process
- Preparing regular mailings and electronic communication to parents in tandem with the communications staff
- Overseeing progress through the fall process of finalizing college lists and sending off applications
- Visiting college campuses to establish and maintain mutually beneficial relationships with college admission staffs
- Representing Brentwood School at national and regional conferences
- Guiding the work of the office through weekly department meetings
- Attending weekly faculty and administrative meetings
- Preparing and presenting to the Board of Trustees regular reports on the college admission process, placement, and national trends
- Attending regular curriculum committee meetings
- Advising faculty in their writing of college recommendations
- Work with various personnel who support the college counseling process, including the Liaison for Student Athletes and the Essay Writing Coach
- Establishing and maintaining a yearly budget
- Sharing chaperone responsibilities with the College Counseling Team for Brentwood’s East and West Coast College Trips
- Engaging actively in the Brentwood School community, including attending student performances, athletics events, social activities and serving as an advisor
- Organizing and implementing the annual Essay Writing Workshop for seniors
Desirable attributes include:
- A detail-oriented approach to work and outstanding communication skills including writing, listening, and public speaking
- The ability to work collaboratively with the administration, faculty, and other key members of the Brentwood community
- The energy, patience, and sense of humor necessary to work effectively with high-school students and their families
- Proficiency in MS Office, specifically Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, and the ability to learn additional software such as Naviance and PowerSchool
- Ideal candidates should have extensive experience in selective college admissions and/or college counseling
- A demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
- An interest in and openness to professional growth and development
- An advanced degree is strongly preferred
Brentwood School is dedicated to the creation of a diverse faculty and staff that better represents our student body and the city of Los Angeles. For further information about Brentwood School, please visit the school’s website: www.bwscampus.com.
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume, and three references electronically to
Administrative Assistant to Upper School Director