As part of its work, ESA engages with decision makers and stakeholders in the federal government, states, and wholesale markets on policy issues pertinent to energy storage. Reporting to the Policy & Advocacy Director, the Policy Manager will track and assess storage-relevant policy developments primarily in state utility commissions and secondarily in other state agencies and state legislatures. The Policy Manager will also be responsible for drafting and communicating ESA positions as appropriate in formal proceedings, with input from ESA members and the Policy Director, as well as summarizing new research, reports, and developments to ESA members and allies. Additionally, the Policy Manager will be responsible for facilitating communications among other advocacy organizations engaged on state storage policy. Finally, the Policy Manager will assist in the preparation of materials pertaining to storage and state policy, including at ESA’s Policy Forum and Annual Conference.
This role is ideal for a highly-motivated, organized early- or mid-career policy professional wishing to establish state regulatory frameworks that result in greater storage deployment. Successful candidates will be capable of building working relationships with officials, allies, and ESA members; taking initiative and identifying new opportunities; contributing to industry messaging, and thinking systematically about the electric sector. Effective time management and ability to prioritize is a must.
· Formulate, draft, and communicate policy positions in regulatory proceedings and other official communications
· Gather and synthesize ESA member input on state policy issues
· Track state regulatory & legislative developments relevant to energy storage
· Read and summarize new regulatory filings, research, and reports on storage
· Facilitate communication among advocacy organizations engaged on storage policy
· Build and maintain relationships with public officials and allied stakeholders
· Assist with preparation of public materials (e.g., slides, newsletter)
· Assist with timely updates to ESA website
· Assist with ESA event content/speaking engagements as needed