The University of Connecticut, University Information Technology Services (UITS), is seeking a highly motivated, experienced and energetic individual to fill the position of Web Application Programmer (Computer Programmer/Analyst 1 or 2), UCP 6 or 8. The selected candidate must be a self-starter with the ability to work independently but also capable and willing to work effectively in a team environment.
The successful candidate will be joining a team of experienced IT professionals managing multiple applications and providing technical services to the University community. Under the supervision of a designated supervisor in the Application and Technology Solutions area, this position applies considerable expertise and knowledge of computer programming techniques to analyze, design, develop and maintain technical solutions for various applications which will include the Aurora WordPress web content management system and other homegrown PHP web applications. Other duties include but are not limited to strategic planning, documentation as well as designing technical solutions to meet functional requirements and providing consulting services to academic and administrative users.
The University of Connecticut has been named the top public university in New England for over a decade and is ranked among the top public universities in the nation. The University of Connecticut is also a Carnegie Foundation Research University; a prestigious honor shared by only the nation's top higher education institutions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or a related discipline or the equivalent combination of education and experience and a minimum of two to three years of progressively responsible technical experience.
- Evidence of ability to independently analyze and translate assigned projects into operating programs and prepare detailed program documentation.
- Minimum of two years of experience with web application development/programming.
- Solid troubleshooting skills working with customers and/or vendors to resolve issues.
- Experience with designing new programs and modifying existing programs based upon customer needs.
- Excellent written and communication skills and attention to detail.
- The ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- The ability to work with a diverse user community.
- Experience with relational database design and development.
- Experience developing for WordPress. Please provide a link to an example
- Experience with XML and Web Services technologies.
- A solid understanding of software development lifecycle best practices, methods, and conventions.
- Experience administering an enterprise web content management system.
- Knowledge of web accessibility standards.
- Experience with version control.
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits, including employee and dependent tuition waivers at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with the successful candidate’s background and experience. For additional information regarding benefits visit: http://hr.uconn.edu/benefits-summaries/. For additional information about the University visit: http://www.uconn.edu/ and for detailed position information and the job description visit: http://uitsjobs.uconn.edu.
Please apply online at www.jobs.uconn.edu, Staff Positions. Interested candidates should submit a letter of application and resume that demonstrate how you meet the minimum qualifications and any preferred qualifications you may have for this position, and a list of contact information, including phone numbers for three professional references. Reference search # 2017347. Screening will begin immediately.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Employment of the successful candidate is contingent upon the successful completion of a pre-employment criminal background check. (Search # 2017347)
This job posting is scheduled to be removed at February 26, 2017.
All employees are subject to adherence to the State Code of Ethics which may be found at http://www.ct.gov/ethics/site/default.asp.
The University of Connecticut is committed to building and supporting a multicultural and diverse community of students, faculty and staff. The diversity of students, faculty and staff continues to increase, as does the number of honors students, valedictorians and salutatorians who consistently make UConn their top choice. More than 100 research centers and institutes serve the University’s teaching, research, diversity, and outreach missions, leading to UConn’s ranking as one of the nation’s top research universities. UConn’s faculty and staff are the critical link to fostering and expanding our vibrant, multicultural and diverse University community. As an Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity employer, UConn encourages applications from women, veterans, people with disabilities and members of traditionally underrepresented populations.