The MLabs Administrative Manager is a key member of the MLabs leadership team (Director, Associate Director, Administrative Manager and Business Development Strategist) and provides leadership and management of all administrative and operational responsibilities and requirements of a division within Department of Pathology that supports its reference laboratory clients, 365 days per year. MLabs Administrative Manager must have broad understanding of the discipline of laboratory medicine, laboratory operations and management and information technology. This key member must be able to translate acquired knowledge in ways that ensure MLabs success in the delivery of reference laboratory services to its external customers. The MLabs Administrative Manager is responsible directly for all operational activities, processes and projects intended to ensure the service expectations of the internal and external stakeholders.
• Manager of two (2) direct reports - MLabs Operations Manager and Informatics Senior Analyst with 12 indirect reports.
• Responsible (directly or indirectly) for all subordinate staff activities related to human resource management (hiring, promotion, salary changes, performance coaching, disciplinary actions, mandatory competencies and annual evaluations).
• Promote employee job satisfaction and professional growth.
• Build team engagement with focus on trust and cooperation.
• Responsible (directly or indirectly) for all UMHS and Departmental obligations associated with the management of MLabs Division or its staff (e.g., Payroll, UMHS mandatories, Master Control Policy and Procedure Signoff, Fire and Safety Committee, Laboratory Communication Committee, Regular Staff Meetings, Clinical Pathology Operations Meeting).
• Responsible for oversight of division budget, management of expense allocation and monthly reconciliation of expense report.
• Approve MPathways Vendor Payments and Facilitate Vendor Purchasing Agreements.
• Provide management and leadership to ensure successful implementation of new client service expectations as defined and articulated by Business Development Strategist.
• Provide direct oversight of existing services provided to clients and facilitate implementation for changes or expanded services as communicated by Business Development Strategist.
• Responsible (directly or indirectly) for client problem resolution and service recovery.
• Provide Leadership for key projects – (e.g. in FY17, Sales Force, Website, Call Center Expansion and relocation to NCRC).
• Develop and maintain Division QA Reports using metrics as effective and timely indicators of change/progress.
• Develop and/or contribute to metrics that measure team productivity and proper allocation of resources.
• Provide direction to Pathology Informatics, Clinical and Anatomical Billing Groups and Laboratory Supervisors on MLabs specific initiatives.
• Knowledgeable of Legal and Regulatory Requirements Pertinent to Reference Laboratory Business.
• Bachelor’s degree in Medical Technology.
• Minimum five (5) years experience in a managerial position within a large academic health system and/ or ten (10) years experience working within the reference laboratory industry.
• Minimum five (5) years experience working in a clinical laboratory.
• Demonstrated experience working with Human Resources.
• Demonstrated experience with project management.
• Proficient with Access, Excel, Microsoft Word, Powerpoint and Visio.
• Superior written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to translate strategic business goals into operational plans.
• Experience and success working in a fast-paced, service-oriented environment with an ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
• Superb work ethic, with a drive to exceed expectations and a commitment to personal accountability and ownership.
• Ability to engage team members and establish trust and cooperation from the team.
• Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
• Demonstrated commitment to patient and family centered care.
• Master of Business Administration, Healthcare Administration or related field.
• Experience with client-facing business roles, such as management, consulting, sales and marketing.
• Experience with Hospital (EPIC) and Laboratory Information System (SOFT).
• Demonstrated experience effectively managing numerous simultaneous projects requiring internal team and external vendor support to achieve client service expectations.
• Ability to work flexible hours to meet goals and deadlines.
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.