The Senior Federal Policy Counsel will play an integral role in the Center’s federal advocacy and policy work, developing and implementing strategies to ensure protection for reproductive rights and access to reproductive healthcare in the U.S. by conducting legal and policy analyses and by working with coalition partners, members of Congress, and the Administration. This position reports to the Senior Director, Policy & Managing Director, DC Office and partners closely with the Senior Policy Counsel & Senior Federal Policy Adviser on the team and coordinates legal strategies as appropriate with the Litigation Director and Director or Judicial Strategy.
This position will be based in Washington, DC.
The Senior Federal Policy Counsel’s primary job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Advancing legislation and regulations that will protect and expand the right and access to abortion care and promote access to the full range of affordable reproductive healthcare options for all people in the U.S. with particular emphasis on the Center’s defensive portfolio including healthcare and contraception;
- Monitoring and responding to legislative and other policy developments, including hearings, markups, staff briefings, and other events;
- Developing, in partnership with the Senior Director, Policy and Senior Federal Policy Adviser, appropriate administrative advocacy and regulatory strategies that support our policy priorities;
- Partnering with the Litigation Director and Director of Pro-Bono services on APA litigation and related strategies;
- Advising and partnering on identifying litigation opportunities and, as appropriate, developing litigation strategies;
- Coordinating with other public interest litigation partners and assisting in the management of relevant pro-bono partners;
- Serving as a liaison and providing legal analysis support to civil rights bodies, committees, and litigators;
- Providing legal expertise to federal agencies, Hill, and coalition members regarding ACA, abortion policy, and other key policy priorities including identifying advocacy opportunities, recommending policy positions, and leading cross-departmental teams to craft and execute federal policy decisions;
- Translating complex regulatory and statutory policies into accessible communications for diverse audiences including lawmakers, advocates, and coalition partners; help develop public messages and media responses, as appropriate, while serving as a partner to the Senior Director, Communications and Director of Judicial Strategy;
- Drafting materials for use in lobbying activities, outreach, and on the Web, including legislation, hearing testimony, bill analyses, fact sheets, and legal memoranda;
- Drafting comments for the docket on proposed regulations;
- Preparing internal and external updates and other written analysis of legislation, relevant litigation, and other key moments or projects;
- Identifying inflection points and advocacy opportunities and leading efforts to take advantage of those moments;
- Participating in strategy development across areas of federal policy and advocacy and leading internal and external efforts to implement those strategies;
- Developing substantive expertise on the evolving domestic legal landscape;
- Presenting at professional and advocacy conferences and meetings to lead public discourse on reproductive rights;
- Advancing relationships with policy makers and coalition allies;
- Linking the Center’s domestic litigation and state advocacy work to federal strategies and goals and highlighting this work within coalitions and on the Hill; and
- Collaborating with the Senior Policy Counsel on U.S. foreign policy to ensure consistent advocacy goals and strategies and to leverage the full range of the Center’s work within coalitions and on the Hill.