The Anacostia Watershed Society (AWS) seeks a Donor Relations Manager to manage, coordinate, build and cultivate individual and corporate donor relationships. As a critical part of the Development Team, the Donor Relations Manager sustains activities that achieve annual general operating, special project, and capital major donor contribution goals to sustain the organization, including fundraising from individuals and corporations.
This is an exciting opportunity to leverage existing relationships while developing new partnerships and providing strong advocacy to this critical piece of the AWS strategy, furthering its mission to protect and restore the Anacostia River and its watershed communities.
About the Anacostia Watershed Society
Since its founding in 1989, the Anacostia Watershed Society has worked to attend to the environmental needs of the Anacostia River and its watershed communities. Over the past 27 years, AWS has grown and developed from a small group of concerned individuals into an award-winning $4 million non-profit that is deeply involved in a cause that affects many different communities within the 176 square mile region of the Washington, D.C. metro area.
As part of its mission, the Anacostia Watershed Society is invested in local areas, working with schools and students throughout Washington, D.C. and Montgomery and Prince George’s counties, engaging them in an experience that educates them through hands-on service and allows them to play a part in the continuing improvement of the Anacostia Watershed. In addition, AWS serves as a voice for the river; advocating for and actively involving itself in policies, actions, and programs that protect its ecological health, improve water quality, and work to mitigate the negative effects of stormwater, bacteria, and trash.
Throughout our existence, much progress has been made. The river has been subjected to heavy pollution for centuries and considered unfit for fishing and swimming for decades. It was once littered with trash and the wetlands had been almost entirely destroyed. With the work of AWS and help from others, we are now at a point where it is possible to look away from past devastation and focus on the future. The organization works towards a “Waterway to 2025” and envisions a future where the river is swimmable and fishable by 2025.
Fundraising Officer Accountabilities
The Donor Relations Manager works with the Director of Development to create and direct the department’s fundraising priorities and strategies with the goal of increasing visibility, donor retention, and funding/donors. The Donor Relations Manager is responsible for the creation and management of a well-coordinated giving program designated to cultivate and solicit support from individuals, private foundations, and corporations. The Donor Relations Manager works closely with the Board of Directors, staff, and other volunteers to strengthen existing relationships and establish new relationships with individual donors with a focus on major gifts. To build relationships, the Donor Relations Manager will represent AWS at a variety of fundraising, outreach, and community events.
In addition to the full breadth of accountabilities in this critical fundraising role, the Donor Relations Manager’s immediate priorities will be to:
- Collaboratively develop and implement a well-coordinated individual giving program designed to cultivate and solicit support from a portfolio of individuals and family foundations that represent the highest giving potential for the organization.
- Identify, qualify, cultivate, and steward relations with existing and prospective individual donors.
- Support the cultivation of major gifts by crafting proposals, writing presentations, developing stewardship visits, managing logistics, and developing strategic communications.
- Provide input on marketing and communications strategies to ensure that individual donor strategies are integrated into appropriate communications and marketing channels and tools (i.e., website, newsletters, annual reports, etc.).
- Manage, in conjunction with the Director of Development and President, the execution of the annual
- Board of Directors giving campaign.
- Lead or support the planning and execution of annual fundraising events.
- Support the Director of Development in monitoring and reporting revenues and expenses associated with individual giving strategies and maintain accurate and complete records of all communications with donors.
Professional Qualifications and Personal Attributes
The Donor Relations Manager should ideally embody the following professional qualifications and personal attributes:
- Demonstrated passion for the AWS mission and goals, combined with an entrepreneurial spirit, energized by the opportunities of this position.
- A Bachelor’s Degree
- Seasoned development professional with 3-5+ years of progressively responsible experience and proven success in major gifts fundraising, direct marketing, and/or other development experience. Experience with social marketing a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to qualify a caseload of donors with the highest giving potential, develop relationships and raise funds from major donors, and to coach and lead others (staff and volunteers) in major donor cultivation.
- Excellent written/verbal communication and interpersonal skills, including persuasive and effective communication that forwards the purpose and mission of the organization. Strong command of the issues, and demonstrated ability to strategically communicate the “ask” to persuade donors of the need.
- Highly organized, self-starter, and detail-oriented. Proven ability to prioritize even during periods of peak activity, organize, and meet deadlines in a timely manner.
- Ability to collaboratively develop annual work plans, evaluate effectiveness, and adapt design and implementation, etc.Command of the required technical skills and information relevant to fundraising/donor management, including: demonstrated experience in MS Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) required. Experience in database management (preferably a fundraising database) with the ability to produce and analyze reports preferred.
- Cooperative team player. Participates effectively in teams, partnerships, and relationships that move the work forward and engages others in a manner that allows the parties involved to discover common ground.
- Willing, motivated, and able to work some evenings and weekends and travel to visit donors/prospects.
Compensation Compensation for the Donor Relations Manager includes a competitive base salary commensurate with experience and excellent employee benefits that includes a generous leave program.
Interested candidates should email a cover letter explaining how their skills and background fit this position and a resume to HR at email@example.com .
Anacostia Watershed Society is committed to diversity and invites individuals who bring a diversity of culture, experience and ideas to apply.
AWS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.