This position is responsible for providing the highest quality Nurse Practitioner care to perform work in the home care setting to relatively stable patients who require the management of complex, acute and chronic health conditions. The NP will interface with the clinic/hospital/Emergency Department (ED) to identify at-risk patients in real time, and to transition patients who would benefit from the services of an NP into home care settings. The NP will provide services such as history and physical examinations, consults, medication management, symptom treatment, mental health evaluations, diagnostic tests, immunizations, assessment of safety and the assessment of the ability to perform activities of daily living within the NPs scope of practice and within all agency, state, and federal regulations. The NP will collaborate with the Medical Director and the patients referring physician to develop the appropriate plan of care.
The NP has access to a broad range of existing services within Home Care Services such as social work, psychiatric nursing, physical therapies, and home health aides, which may be utilized as the need indicates. The NP will work in conjunction with the Director of Home Care Nursing to assess quality, outcomes, and program development that will meet the needs of the community and facilitate the treatment of the client in the least restrictive setting, the clients home. This Classification requires registration, certification or licensure with the appropriate agency as identified on the Primary Source Verification Matrix.
- Exercises autonomy in medical decision-making and provides a moderate range of diagnostic and therapeutic services
- Completes comprehensive assessments to identify the physical, psychosocial, behavioral, and environmental needs of the patient.
- Competently performs necessary diagnostic testing within the plan of care and scope of practice.
- Utilizes availability of Medical Director when conferencing on a case is necessary.
- Utilizes extensive knowledge of pathophysiology, pharmacology and physiology.
- Develops and maintains a plan of care based on the initial assessment and symptom management needs of the patient and family.
- Exercises autonomy in medical decision-making and in the assessment, diagnosis and initiation of certain medical processes and procedures within the NP scope of practice.
- Initiates follow up and/or transitional planning with referring physician or agency.
- Teaches family members and other care givers symptom and medication management and preventative care.
- Maintains patient satisfaction and outcome measurements at the state and national benchmark levels.
- Practices as a team member in the provision of medical and health care, interfacing with professional colleagues to provide comprehensive care.
- Evaluates and documents patients response to management of care.
- Processes all documentation according to agency schedules to insure good patient care and adherence to state and federal guidelines.
- Manages assigned patient caseload meeting agency and national productivity standards.
- Maintains patient confidentiality as stated within the Patients Bill of Rights and HIPAA regulations.
- Maintains UMHS NP credentials.
- Participates in the education of health care professionals and students through mentoring, precepting, inservices, seminars, and formal presentations.
Other Related Duties:
- Complies with all University of Michigan and departmental standards and expectations.
- Supports the departments commitment to continuous improvement activities and principles through positive and respectful contribution in all problem-solving and change processes at Home Care Services.
- Participates in department committees and work teams as assigned.
- Assumes responsibility for personal growth and development and maintains and upgrades professional knowledge and practice skills through attendance and participation in continuing education and inservice classes.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Participation in research activities.
- Current licensure to practice as a Registered Nurse and Nurse Practitioner specialty certification in the State of Michigan.
- Current specialty certification as an Adult-Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner is preferred. Will consider Adult-Gerontology Primary Care and Family Nurse Practitioner.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Certification as a Nurse Practitioner recognized by the National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN).
- One (1) year of NP experience
- Ability to work autonomously in a non-structured environment
- Ability to travel from point A to point B throughout the workday as assigned
NOTE: Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
NOTE: Required qualifications must be met by the candidate in order to be interviewed and considered for the position.
RESUME REQUIRED (for both internal & external applicants):
You must attach a complete and accurate resume to be fully considered for this position.
- 2 years experience as a NP
- Home health experience
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Excellent organizational and leadership skills
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of the credentialing and privileging process.
Location: Michigan Visiting Care
This position is covered under the collective bargaining agreement between the U-M and the Michigan Nurses Association and the U-M Professional Nurse Council union, which contains and settles all matters with respect to wages, benefits, hours and other terms and conditions of employment.
University of Michigan Health System conducts background screening and pre-employment drug testing on job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent job offer and may use a third party administrator to conduct background screenings. Background screenings are performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Report Act.
If you have questions regarding this posting or would like assistance with Advanced Practice Nursing opportunities please contact Nurse and Physician Assistant Recruitment at (734) 936-5183 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org. For a current listing of all open APRN job opportunities at UMHS, please visit www.UMnursing.org.
The University of Michigan Health System improves the health of patients, populations and communities through excellence in education, patient care, community service, research and technology development, and through leadership activities in Michigan, nationally and internationally. Our mission is guided by our Strategic Principles and has three critical components; patient care, education and research that together enhance our contribution to society.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.