The Chief Digital Strategist will define and drive the implementation of the digital strategy, vision and roadmap for Brown University. This work will unify online and digital tools that support academic and administrative functions, as well as enable Brown to conceptualize, launch and support innovative, digital engagement and communications initiatives across all platforms. Brown has ambitious goals to transform its older, fragmented, desktop-oriented experience to a mobile-first, flexible, unified, standardized architecture. Reporting to the University President, the CDS will play a key role in unifying platforms, supporting the revitalization of engagement and communications tools, and elevating the positioning of the Brown brand in this era of dynamic, multi-platform engagement. The CDS will have deep expertise in building and evolving digital experiences that amplify, optimize and enhance engagement, The ideal candidate will have a reputation for leading and launching critical and successful initiatives involving diverse stakeholders in a rapidly changing environment. Based in Providence, RI, the CDS will serve as a change agent and work with key stakeholders across the University community to make the lives of all constituentsâ??including students, faculty, staff, alumni and othersâ??easier and better.
- Drive the digital transformation of Brown by developing and implementing multi-platform experiences that promote engagement and deliver measurable value and impact for all Brown constituents
- Work closely with the stakeholder offices of Computing and Information Services, Office of University Communications and Division of Advancement to deploy a digital roadmap for Brown that offers a unified digital ecosystem
- Balance long-term strategy with the tactical product management of the existing digital portfolio and the design and development of new experiences
- Build the digital capabilities of Brown by nurturing existing talent and recruiting new, digital talent to the University to ensure that the Universityâ??s key strategies are supported by new organizational competencies
- Apply data and analytics to unlock key insights into audience needs, to measure performance and to define success for the University
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with Brown academic and administrative leaders across the University in order to achieve buy-in and support for digital initiatives
- Develop and oversee relationships with external consultants and vendors that are assisting Brown in its digital strategy.
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelorâ??s degree and minimum 10 years of professional experience serving in a leadership capacity managing digital strategy in a complex organization.
- Digital product executive with a proven track record of successfully developing and launching experiences and products that engage users and produce measureable results
- Demonstrated knowledge of existing and emerging digital tools, technologies and platforms, and accompanying understanding of how to drive content through digital channels
- Operating experience, management skills and a strategic mindset to lead complex initiatives involving multiple, diverse stakeholders that achieve long-term strategic goals and return on investment
- Very strong communication and interpersonal skills and an ability to constructively influence others and align disparate interests in a consensus-driven organization
- Proven experience as an effective communicator and partner with both highly technical staff and executive management
- Expertise in guiding data infrastructure, reporting and systems integration
- History of strategic leadership with strong analytical skills coupled with a demonstrated ability to collaboratively solve complex issues
- Dynamic, entrepreneurial and charismatic individual who can diplomatically challenge the status quo
- Hands-on operator and team player who will roll up her/his sleeves to get the job done
- Decisive and able to provide clarity of direction, using analytics as well as intuition and experience to guide decision-making
- Collaborative problem-solver who is excited about exchanging ideas and solutions with colleagues and partners
- Team builder with a track record of celebrating the success of others
Compensation for the position is open and competitive. This is a two-year term position, with potential for renewal. Interested applicants should attach a letter of interest and a CV.
About Brown University:
Located in historic Providence, Rhode Island and founded in 1764, Brown University is the seventh-oldest college in the United States. Brown is an independent, coeducational Ivy League institution comprising undergraduate and graduate programs, plus the Alpert Medical School, School of Public Health, School of Engineering, and the School of Professional Studies.
With its talented and motivated student body and accomplished faculty, Brown is a leading research university that maintains a particular commitment to exceptional undergraduate instruction.
Brownâ??s vibrant, diverse campus community consists of about 6,200 undergraduates, 2,000 graduate students, 490 medical school students, more than 5,000 summer, visiting, and online students, and over 700 faculty members. Brown students come from all 50 states and more than 115 countries.
Undergraduates pursue bachelorâ??s degrees in more than 70 concentrations, ranging from Egyptology to cognitive neuroscience. The universityâ??s commitment to undergraduate freedom means students must take responsibility as architects of their courses of study.
Brown University has 51 doctoral programs and 28 masterâ??s programs. The broad scope of options varies from interdisciplinary opportunities in molecular pharmacology and physiology to a masterâ??s program in acting and directing through the Brown/Trinity Repertory Consortium.
Additional programs include the Undergraduate Summer Session and Pre-College Programs for high school studentsâ??on campus, online, and abroad.
Brown is frequently recognized for its global reach, many cultural events, numerous campus groups and activities, active community service programs, highly competitive athletics, and beautiful facilities located in a richly historic urban setting.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, race, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, religion, or any other legally protected status.
Recruiting Start Date:2017-01-24-08:00
Job Posting Title:Chief Digital Strategist
Department:Office of the President
Worker Sub-Type:Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact email@example.com.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.