NYU Langone is one of the nation's premier academic medical centers that includes five hospitals (Tisch Hospital, Rusk Rehabilitation, Hospital for Joint Diseases, Hassenfeld Children's Hospital of New York, and NYU Lutheran Medical Center) and more than 200 ambulatory locations across the New York metropolitan area. It also includes NYU School of Medicine, which since 1841 has trained thousands of physicians and scientists who have helped to shape the course of medical history. Our trifold mission to serve, teach, and discover is achieved daily through an integrated academic culture devoted to excellence in patient care, education, and research. Learn more about NYU Langone.
We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Health Info Management Associate.
This position is responsible for filing Birth Certificates, Spontaneous and Induced Termination Certificates and sterilization data into the New York City Department of Health (NYC DOH) electronic system.
- Identifies live birth cases at the Medical Center. Obtains necessary information and any legal documents from birth parent(s). Extracts information from medical records as necessary. Obtains any additional required reporting information from nursing unit personnel within the reporting timeframe. Enters and transmits all required data in a timely fashion and as required by the NYC DOH.
- Reports all induced and spontaneous terminations of pregnancy in accordance with NYC DOH regulations. Reports sterilization data in accordance with NYC DOH regulations.
- Communicates with physicians in order to facilitate timely reporting of all vital events. Initiates follow-ups as needed to ensure compliance with operational standards for reporting vital statistics.
- Organizes and maintains an electronic database of reported cases according to HIM department policies.
- Greets, directs and responds to the needs and requests of the staff, patients and general public for the section/department. Answers telephone calls and inquiries promptly and courteously; identifies him/herself and the department when answering the phone. Directs telephone calls and visitors appropriately based on content of the inquiry. Obtains information, answers questions and resolves routine problems in an appropriate manner. Takes messages accurately and completely.
- Assists L&D Nursing with processing Newborn Screening lab results.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Must have a high school diploma with 1-2 years of experience in an area directly related to the position, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Knowledge of medical terminology and/or hospital admissions required.
- Proficiency with automated patient information or accounting systems.
- Knowledge of relevant computer systems required.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills required.
- Associates Degree in Health Information Technology.
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Medical Center is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Medical Center's EEO policies, please click here. Please click here to view the Federal 'EEO is the law' poster or visit http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/poster.cfm for more information.