About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Police Officers at Virginia Tech protect and serve a diverse University community. Responsibilities include: investigating motor vehicle accidents, personal injuries, criminal matters; enforcement of state and federal laws, and University policies; preparation of reports; courtroom testimony; traffic direction and crowd control; response to emergency situations; extended foot patrol; working a rotating shift that includes weekends, nights, and holidays; reporting for duty in adverse weather conditions; adhering to all criteria established for a Nationally Accredited Police Department.
MULTIPLE POSITIONS AVAILABLE.
- Must successfully complete the department's Field Training Program.
- Must successfully complete DCJS Basic Law Enforcement School within one year of hire.
- Experience with writing reports or similar documents.
- Experience working with the public.
- Demonstrated computer experience.
- Must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to work with a culturally diverse department and University community.
- Ability to give creditable court testimony and comprehend legal documents.
- Ability to use independent judgment and exercise considerable restraint under stressful situations.
- Ability to perform strenuous physical activities such as running, lifting, jumping, bicycling, climbing.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle at high speeds in adverse conditions.
See additional requirements in the employment comments section.
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, police science or related field.
- Previous military experience.
Employee Category: Staff (Salary)
Appointment Type: Regular
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Review Date: 02/13/2017